Y pipe

Jakem

Ensign
Ok so after reinstalling a new bell housing gasket...housing..outdrive...y pipe...and engine. I had it fired up on hose and there was no leaks anywhere aside from a bad clamp. I took it to dock today and just backed in and fired it up and ran it...I've got a leak and it appears to be left side of y pipe area and water running down inside of transom. Any other ideas of what could be aside from y pipe I feel I'm pulling outdrive and engine again aren't i

Jakem

Ensign
Alright so I've ran boat for an hour in driveway...no leak...my conclusion is it's not y pipe...I have checked all bellows and snughed up clamps...also pulled the plugs leading into steering arm are and sealed them. Also ran another good wide bead of sikaflex around bellhousing and around the 2 bolts going from outside to in.... there was no signs of water in steering pin area...am I correct in y pipe assumption

Fun Times

Staff member
I've got a leak and it appears to be left side of y pipe area and water running down inside of transom.
What is your description of left side?

Left side of boat facing forward/bow = port side of boat.
Facing front of engine/looking towards rear/aft/stern of boat, left = starboard side of boat when facing bow.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you installed the drive without gluing the large sealing ring inside the bell housing and had trouble wrestling the drive on then you may have caught and cut the ring. That will allow water to enter through the breather hole in the transom plate.
The best way to install the drive is where you do not have to hold it up by hand to install it. Standing it on a floor jack or using an engine lift is the best way.

Jakem

Ensign
I was looking back towards inside of transom so by left side I meant starboard side..I am going to take it back to water tomorrow and see if what I've sealed stopped it...if not I'll pull drive and check the ring inside like you suggested

Fun Times

Staff member
I was looking back towards inside of transom so by left side I meant starboard side..I am going to take it back to water tomorrow and see if what I've sealed stopped it...if not I'll pull drive and check the ring inside like you suggested
Being the starboard side then maybe it could also be the mercruiser shift cable bellows has torn apart or the mercruiser lower transom mounted anode bolt area is becoming an issue.

itsathepete

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the driveway, put the plug in and fill the bilge with water and see where it leaks out the back. Just be careful not to submerge anything you don't want wet.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Rarely is it a good idea to fill the bilge with water. It doesn’t replicate the pressure on the underwater parts when the boat is in the water, and all it does is get water inside the boat where it should not be.