Evinrude 9.9 Tiller Adjustment

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
So got me a '75 9.9 that I pulled the powerhead off of to repair the upper thrust plate. Not sure if it was something I did, or maybe I just didn't notice, but the arrow on the handle doesn't line up with the words like it should when you rotate the throttle. Is there a way to adjust this or am I stuck living with it? Not the first motor I've seen like this, but most of those you couldn't read the writing anyway....LOL BTW this model does not have a cable, just a couple plastic rods with gears on one side and a rectangular piece on the other.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
did you try lining up the words by skipping a tooth or two on the mating gears.

on my recent 7.5 Merc with a "missing tag" I copied one from a site on the Net then "power pointed" it to the proper size.

I plasticized it both sides and just wrapped it and glued in place while paying attention to the proper position of the words. Turned out great

Kept copies in my ppt. file for future needs if ever I need a new tag.

cost...one plasticizing sheet at the dollar store. $1

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Well that stinks. Seems like it would be easy enough to do. I just don't want to waste my time trying if it's not possible. I don't think the gears can be off, because it looks like they can only go on one way. Seems like if I goofed, the only thing that could have happened is the rectangular block on end of the rods might be reversed, throwing it all off 180*. They did sorta fall out on me. I sure don't want to pull the powerhead again to check.