WMK-22 question 76 Merc 1500

Trav454

Cadet
I’m in the process of rebuilding the wmk22 carbs on my ‘76 150 hp in-line and during disassembly, noticed each carb had a small plastic looking ball or BB sitting on top of each idle tube. I don’t see this BB in the diagram in the service manual. Anyone have any idea what purpose these serve and are they necessary to reinstall?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Are you talking about the idle restrictor tube? That is removed after the plug on top. Both are brass, and screw in at an angle.

Your '76 should have the backdrag carbs with the rubber tube from carb bowl cover to throat. Sometimes people like to plug those with bbs to disable the backdrag circuit.

Trav454

Cadet
Yes they are the backdrag carbs. When I removed the idle screw the smaller bead fell out with it. Looks maybe about half the size of the BB you would use to plug the back drag tubes. It seems it’s made to sit on top of the restrictor tube ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I had that engine, and never saw bb's on top of the idle restrictor tube. I would believe the part diagrams on crowleymarine. If they do not show it, it likely shouldn't be there. Maybe they were trying to fix some idle issue?

Trav454

Cadet
Possibly. Another thing I was going to mention is that someone had placed a #3 carb at the top where #1 would normally be. (WMK-22-1, WMK-22-2, WMK-22-3)… so now I have #3 carb on top, #2 in middle, and another #3 on the bottom. Are there internal differences between the carbs? Also of note I have not started this motor yet

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I do not think the carbs are different, however, Merc has a habit of installing different jets in different carbs on their V6 models. I never checked the jet size on my Merc 1500.

It is starting to sound like the PO had some carb issues, and a unique way to try and resolve them. Getting the idle mixtures on those carbs are a bit tricky. If they are set too lean, they idle great but will not accelerate. As you richen the carbs, the idle quality gets worse, but acceleration gets better. You want the leanest that will still allow acceleration. The top carb will likely need to be set the richest, followed by the mid carb. The bottom carb will be a bit leaner than the others. Make sure to set the carbs using fresh 50::1 fuel mix.

You can switch the carbs back pretty easy. The yoke on the top carb should be interchangeable.

Choke plates should be on the top two carbs only. I added a third choke plate, and it made no difference in cold start of the motor. You can adjust the choke plates to fit tight but not bind. That does help a bit.

Trav454

Cadet
Found an old thread where the OP is talking about the same type of ball in the idle tube…?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Once you put a bb in the backdrag hose, the vent (or backdrag jet) doesn't have any effect. It is simply a vent for the carb bowl.

I ran the backdrag circuit on my 1500, w/o issue. Did it help with fuel economy, I have no idea.

Trav454

Cadet
Chris,

A little bit deeper in that post the op mentioned a bb in the idle tube itself.

“I removed the idle adjustment screw and spring. When I did that, a small, opaque bb rolled out as well. I don't see this on any part diagram for any of the carbs I've looked at (I've not been able to find a diagram for the WMK-22). Any idea what this is? I assume it just pushes down into the idle tube to help block it?”

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
None of my 1500 carbs had that bb in the idle restrictor passage. I would think that would disable the idle circuit completely. I would be surprised if the motor would run with that bb installed.
I would remove it, and save it for now, get the motor running perfectly and then toss it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
There is no BB's of any type used in the idle circuits of any Inline 4/6 carb.