Evinrude 25hp

Lanetudor

Recruit
I swapped my cranking battery for me 1985 25hp evinrude. I hooked up the battery and now it won’t crank over. The solenoid just buzzes and the starter won’t engage. I tested the solenoid and it read 12 or so volts but while trying to start it, the voltage went down. What do I need to do?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Charge the battery.----Load test the battery.----Inspect battery cables.----Battery cables hooked up wrong ?---

Lanetudor

Recruit
I charged the battery last night I’m thinking it it may be a bad battery when there’s a load run on it.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I don't fully understand this line.... "I swapped my cranking battery for me 1985 25hp evinrude."

With that said, to start from scratch, solid load tested battery, super clean and tested wires and connection spots (this one gets me ALL the time) and testing the solenoid like you've done. Voltage check at solenoid power side drops below 10 something volts the above is the problem. If 10 or below 10 on the starter side usually means a bad solenoid....this all assumes you jumped the starter correctly and safely first.

Hope this helps.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
believe I would first try to jump directly to the stater, using auto-style jumper cables. If starter doesn't engage, problem is the starter. If starter engages, jump through the solenoid. I no success, replace the solenoid.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve got the same year/size motor. Had it for about 18 years.
Sometimes when cold, it acts like the battery is down, even though battery’s fine and the connection are good. My solution is to simply get the starter cord out and pull start it. It typically takes 2 or 3 tries but once she’s running it’s fine for the rest of the day (and usually the next day too). Hope this helps.

flashback

Captain
12 volts or so..... understand a fully charged batt is 12.7, a dead batt is 12v..the or so makes a big difference.

Nordin

Commander
Theoretically a good new 12V battery has 13,8V voltage as it contains six cells and each cell has 2,3V voltage.
You can read 12,3 or something and up without load at a bad battery.
Remember a starter is a dead short for the battery to serve when trying to start.
Maybe a bad battery can be used for auxillaries for avail but not for starting an engine.