1981 50 HP 3 cylinder Mercury

Bassn7

Seaman
On the water Sunday my boat won’t go over 5 mph. Upon inspection this piece was laying under the motor. What is this? What happened? Help. IMG_4416.png

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In 1981, the 50hp was a 4 Cylinder.

First Questions.
How long have you owned this Motor?
Was it running Fine Prior to the 5 Mph?
What are the Numbers from a Compression Test?
Can it make a Spark Strong enough to Jump a 3/8" Gap, on all Cylinders?
Is Fuel getting to all the Carbs?
Are the Carbs Clean, Internally?
Is the Spark Advancing Correctly, and are the Carbs properly Synced to Each Other, and with the Timing Advance?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post a picture of this motor.---Was the piece on the ground ?----Inside the cowling?-----How did this motor run for you last season ?

Bassn7

Seaman
Ran fine. The part was inside the cowling on the bottom laying under the carbs.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Any Wires/Connectors on it?

A Serial/Model # would come very handy for looking up the Engine Info

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say it is a choke plunger.----Be easy if I could see this motor.----But then again maybe your neighbor put that part in there for fun.----Post a picture with tape measure beside it so dimensions become clear.----Pictures more pictures.-----

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would say it is a choke plunger.----Be easy if I could see this motor.----But then again maybe your neighbor put that part in there for fun.----Post a picture with tape measure beside it so dimensions become clear.----Pictures more pictures.-----
Quite Possible #6
1709158183433.png

tphoyt

Ensign
Funny you should say that.
My buddy used to give me a hard time for storing all my parts in zip lock bags. He once put a few extra bolts in the bags to mess with my head and it worked. 😂