Alarm capacitor 4.3L

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there supposed to a capacitor for the alarm when the key is turned on, and engine isn’t running? I understand why the alarm is going off - no oil pressure when it’s not running. As soon as the engine starts the alarm turns off.

Is there a capacitor that is supposed to silence the alarm for a period of time when the key is first turned to the on position?

Engine SN: 0W324301. 4.3L TKS

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did some digging online and found a OEM part number of 86045 for a timer delay relay. I don’t see this in my wiring by my horn, I don’t think it was ever wired in?

While digging I found a photo of the OEM delay relay with Sylvania TR2032 stamped on it. Per a post on another website this crosses over to a Napa time delay relay with part number Echlin AR613. I see this has three connectors on it. I’m guessing this goes inline with the power wire for the horn? An input, output, and ground?

1DE4478F-2242-4083-85D8-999A7793AA85.jpeg

alldodge

Staff member
I have not wired one this type but would guess cut the purple wire feeding the alarm and connect to 2 connects. The remaining contact gets grounded.

12V power is applied and after given amount of time the relay energizes and makes the connection

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have not wired one this type but would guess cut the purple wire feeding the alarm and connect to 2 connects. The remaining contact gets grounded.

12V power is applied and after given amount of time the relay energizes and makes the connection
Thanks, that was my line of thought but wanted a second opinion.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I haven’t gotten this project done yet. It slipped my mind the last few months. Anyone see a reason why this would work?

I believe the theory of operation is that when the ignition is on, the piezo buzzer gets power and the ground doesn’t complete the circuit until one of the “alarm” sensors grounds and complete the circuit? If so, I’ll wire this in on the power wire inline of the buzzer. After the selected amount of time the power wire going to the buzzer will then be hot. This will eliminate the buzzer going off when starting the boat, which dearly annoys me.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 4

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I haven’t gotten this project done yet. It slipped my mind the last few months. Anyone see a reason why this would work?

I believe the theory of operation is that when the ignition is on, the piezo buzzer gets power and the ground doesn’t complete the circuit until one of the “alarm” sensors grounds and complete the circuit? If so, I’ll wire this in on the power wire inline of the buzzer. After the selected amount of time the power wire going to the buzzer will then be hot. This will eliminate the buzzer going off when starting the boat, which dearly annoys me.
If this relay decides to stop working you will have no alarm. Would probably want to visual to ensure you have 12 v positive to the buzzer. While annoying at least you are verifying the oil pressure switch is functional every time you start the boat .

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
If this relay decides to stop working you will have no alarm. Would probably want to visual to ensure you have 12 v positive to the buzzer. While annoying at least you are verifying the oil pressure switch is functional every time you start the boat .

I have had the same thought as a backup method. Putting in a red LED light as a warning light on the dash is a good addition.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The series timer your looking at in Post 6 requires a completed path to function. If you set the delay long enough to allow the oil switch to open then the timer contact will not close. It requires power draw to complete the circuit. So when an alarm actually happens the timer will start timing and when complete it will close the circuit allowing the buzzer to operate. You may measure voltage as being "hot" at the buzzer but that's just the series delay timer looking for current to operate. You may also find that the buzzer being piezo, may not allow enough current draw to operate the timer.

Why couldn't you just use a NC push button. Hold the button during start to open the circuit, then let go to close it. I'm unsure of how long it take to have oil pressure so it could be an inconvenience as well.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The alarm tone will normally be a second or two then stop, when key is turned once.
If it stays on..it can mean a fault. Most commonly might be low gear oil in the header tank. Might that be having an influence on yours ?

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
The alarm tone will normally be a second or two then stop, when key is turned once.
If it stays on..it can mean a fault. Most commonly might be low gear oil in the header tank. Might that be having an influence on yours ?
This alarm stays on when the key is on and engine off. I’m not saying it’s suppose to, but it does. Once the engine starts and builds oil pressure the alarm goes off. If it was the low gear line alarm it would be on all the time right ?

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
The series timer your looking at in Post 6 requires a completed path to function. If you set the delay long enough to allow the oil switch to open then the timer contact will not close. It requires power draw to complete the circuit. So when an alarm actually happens the timer will start timing and when complete it will close the circuit allowing the buzzer to operate. You may measure voltage as being "hot" at the buzzer but that's just the series delay timer looking for current to operate. You may also find that the buzzer being piezo, may not allow enough current draw to operate the timer.

Why couldn't you just use a NC push button. Hold the button during start to open the circuit, then let go to close it. I'm unsure of how long it take to have oil pressure so it could be an inconvenience as well.
Thanks - In my mind the power wire to the buzzer was always hot and the fault sensors grounded out when a “fault” occurred thus completing the circuit and activating the buzzer. Your description helps.

alldodge

Staff member
This alarm stays on when the key is on and engine off. I’m not saying it’s suppose to, but it does. Once the engine starts and builds oil pressure the alarm goes off. If it was the low gear line alarm it would be on all the time right ?
correct

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did stumble across this, seems someone from a JetBoat forum found the buzzer to be slightly more annoying and made this. I could use a more “sealed” looking board and do the same. It’s a few bucks for the programmable timer relay and I’ll just used the factory buzzer. You can adjust the “on” time length as well as the delay between.

Here is his wiring diagram. In looking at this, it appears that the Yamaha uses the 12V power as the switch and not the ground as the Mercruisers do, does that seem correct? I give this man a lot of credit for his thinking.

IMG_0330.jpeg

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is what I ended up with, I used a generic buzzer for testing. I’ll use a more appropriate sized gauge wire and will make it so I just unplug the factory buzzer and then connect this to the factory connectors so I can revert back to the old style without cutting up the wiring. The programming is infinite but this is pretty close. After a few cycles it will go to a constant alarm.

I think the timer delay relay was $12.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
not worth the risk... A potential failure means you have no alarm, it definitely isn't worth the couple seconds of annoyance.

Put a piece of electrical tape across the hole on the alarm. It will mute it a bit but still loud enough to hear it easily.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
not worth the risk... A potential failure means you have no alarm, it definitely isn't worth the couple seconds of annoyance.

Put a piece of electrical tape across the hole on the alarm. It will mute it a bit but still loud enough to hear it easily.
I think it’s 6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other. Mute the alarm some with tape and risk not hearing it while underway or have an extra item that could fail in the system. It’s a risk I’m willing to take, after all it will do a system test each time I start the boat and will give a single beep to let me know it’s functioning.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I think it’s 6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other. Mute the alarm some with tape and risk not hearing it while underway or have an extra item that could fail in the system. It’s a risk I’m willing to take, after all it will do a system test each time I start the boat and will give a single beep to let me know it’s functioning.

obviously depends on your boat, but I taped mine, and it is more than loud enough to hear while underway. (inadvertently tested it out with a low drive lube alarm already)