1987 Evinrude 9.9 No Spark On Both Cylinders

Logan Cooke

Cadet
I was given a 1987 Evinrude 9.9 (E10RCUE) that needs work. When I first got it, it had a spark on both cylinders. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the spark plugs. (L77Jc4) It sat outside for a week or two while I waited on parts. Now it doesn’t have any spark… (no spark with new or old plugs) I tested the stator, trigger, and coils with a multimeter and everything was within spec except both coils read 1.2 ohms when it is supposed to be .2-1.0 ohms. I'm using a $5 Harbor Freight multimeter so I'm not sure how accurate the 1.2 ohms is. I also tested the spark plug wires and didn't have any reading on one, and the other would change dramatically with the slightest movement of the probes. I also tested the kill switch, it is working properly. (no reading unless the button is pushed or the kill switch clip is removed)

I pulled the spark plug boot off the wire with no reading and the end is corroded. I ordered new spark plug wires and am trying to figure out what to do next. If the power pack went bad, how do I figure out what made it go bad? I checked all the grounds and they are all still tightly fastened down. If a ground is corroded, could that cause the issue? This is my first time troubleshooting an ignition system so I am still new to this.

This is the video I followed for testing the ignition system

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yes grounds need to be cleaned. 5 dollar tester probably isn't accurate. Unhook the kill wire for now.

If everything checks out pp is probably no good, there's more complex tests for the power pack but most people just replace it.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
To explain more, kill wire can test ok and still malfunction. Best to eliminate the possibility by unhooking it until you diagnose the problem. I'm guessing since it was exposed outside that possibly the kill switch is the culprit but simply unhooking it is the best test.

Logan Cooke

Cadet
thanks for replying. I will have time to work on the motor again tomorrow. I will start by disconnecting the kill wire and cleaning all the grounds. I will let you know what happens.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Check connections. (Spike in plug boot has to contact the inner wire core in plug wire.)

Logan Cooke

Cadet
Thanks for replying. I replaced the spark plug wire with ones made by CDI Electronics that are compatible with this motor. They came with the boots already installed.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Proper plug wires would have a solid inner core/wire. You might want to go ahead and replace the power pack.

Logan Cooke

Cadet
I cleaned the grounds and disconnected the kill wire. Still no spark... I'm going to order a new power pack. If the power pack doesn't fix it, is there anything else it could be?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Try it first, then report results or show a clip if it runs.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Puring like a kitten....unless you have some expensive Dyno or a really large test tank the boat is what your left with.

Pretty sure your going to be okay.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Puring like a kitten....unless you have some expensive Dyno or a really large test tank the boat is what your left with.

Pretty sure your going to be okay.
Agree. Need back pressure to do any final adjustments. Can't do much more on muffs.