Upgrade Tracker trolling motor from 12v to 24v

YpsiJohn

Recruit
My 2004 Tracker PT 175 Spec Edition has a 12v trolling motor and I'd like to upgrade to 24v. Does anyone know if the existing wiring will handle a 24v motor?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help. This is my first bass boat, just got it last Sept, and this is my first post on this forum. -John. Ypsilanti, Mich.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome John
For the most part wire is wire and it doesn't care if it has 12 or 24V. What does make a difference is the amount of current (Amps).

Determine what size (gauge) wire feed motor now. What size fuse is on the motor. Look for specs on current motor and see max amp draw and should match up to fuse size

Now look at new motor specs and see how much current it will draw

jeepinandy58

Cadet
Another thing to consider is how long the wire is. I don't have a lot of experience but I just finished rewiring my (new to me) boat. 16 ft SmokerCraft. Motorguide X3-65. Previous owner had it set up with 12volts, I used it this summer but it was way slow. Batteries in the back, 12 gauge wire. I re-configured so that the 2 trolling motor batteries are in series (24v), I used 6 gauge wire since I used about 19' of wire. Could've probably used 8 awg but 6 keeps safe and the cost was the same.

YpsiJohn

Recruit
Thanks so much for the input. Everything has been installed and I hope to get the boat on the water in the next couple weeks for a shake-down.

flashback

Captain
You should be good. Happy fishing. In most cases a 24v draws less current than a 12v..