tiller throttle won't turn unless you push on linkage

twisting the grip doesn't seem to work, so i am thinking the cable needs lubed on my 1990 20 hp johnson. it will turn if you assist by pushing on the linkage. if that's the problem what do you guys use to clean the gunk out of the cable and lubricate it.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Normally, a new cable.

You can purchase a cable luber at a motorcycle store.....clamps on to the outside sleeve at the end sealing it and you shoot wd40 down the little straw hole.

It could be that your hardware under the flywheel is gunked up. Remove flywheel, inspect, clean and lube everything.

Lastly, research cleaning the tiller hand grip.

would break free work just as well as wd-40? knob on end of tiller seems to be frozen as well.
thanks

tphoyt

Ensign
You might get it freed up but do your self a favor and take it apart for some maintenance and replace the cable. It only takes a single strand of the cable to fail and it will start to bind in sheathing and only get worse every time you move it. So source the part and get it out of the way before it fails you when your the farthest away from home you have ever been the suns going down and the wind and rain is moving in and there is no one else on the water to help you out.
Best

that's some sound advise.
one thing have noticed it looks like the carb isn't opening fully. i can push where a remote throttle cable would attach and it will advance about as much again as twisting the tiller handle but the carb linkage doesn't move. i thought maybe it had a neutral lock so the engine couldn't be revved up but haven't seen it written anywhere. you can open the throttle on the carb by pushing down on it.
not really a boat guy, more of a 2 wheeler guy.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
It has a neutral lock. While off, gently turn the prop while shifting it into gear and see if your problem goes away.

If you tried that already undo the throttle cable and see if it moves freely. If so the assembly under the flywheel needs cleaning/lubing.

Send us a picture of this little 20hp offender.

yip, that was why the carb linkage wasn't working. that said the tiller twist grip still can't be turned without using the throttle for a remote on the underside of the motor. may be a combination of more than one thing. cleaned as best as i could the linkage under the flywheel and lubed it and still no joy. when you disconnect the throttle cable it turns but is gritty at best. tried the motorcycle cable lube attachment as well. thanks for confirming my lock out suspicion.

little offender is in the middle of having the cowl painted, someone got wild and crazy with primer. i love these motors and when i get it in operating condition i may just convert it to a 35 as the boat is rated for 40 hp. finding the parts may be another story. have to decide on getting a different manifold or having a machine shop buddy open this one up. finding a good 35 carb of the right year may be another story.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
From what I understand the porting and other stuff is different. Just fix it up and leave it alone.

Here is one I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_164528652_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221012_164528652_HDR.jpg
    991.4 KB · Views: 1

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Try turning the ignition plate under the flywheel by hand. Gloves on, motor off. I believe it rotates counterclockwise. If it's tight, you will need to remove the grease build up.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
little offender is in the middle of having the cowl painted, someone got wild and crazy with primer. i love these motors and when i get it in operating condition i may just convert it to a 35 as the boat is rated for 40 hp. finding the parts may be another story. have to decide on getting a different manifold or having a machine shop buddy open this one up. finding a good 35 carb of the right year may be another story.
The 35 hp of that motor was a powerhead rated engine it was later changed to 30 hp at the prop.. Get a carb off of a 28/30/35 hp motor

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
imo better off getting the 20 looking and running good, then selling it. There is usually a demand for 18/20 hp motors.

Then buy the 35 or 40.

update, i found where the problem was, it was the twist grip itself. dry as a popcorn fart. now i have other problems. did i mention i wasn't a outboard mechanic. well i popped the grip loose and it slid 2/3 of the way off but the idle control on the end of the tiller stops it. also the small round puck fell out. now i have to figure out how to get the grip off to put that back. i'm guessing you have to unplug the kill switch to get the grip off. i watched a youtube video and saw the small round puck fall out but the youtuber just picked it up and went on and never said how to put it back. i was hoping the grip would slide over the trolling idle knob on the end .