Mystery small Johnson 65? 6hp?

ugmold

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks,
I picked up this mystery Johnson on Craigslist, I can't find any ID except the Seahorse on the cowl. Any ideas?IMG_3953.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3954.jpeg
    IMG_3954.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3955.jpeg
    IMG_3955.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3956.jpeg
    IMG_3956.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: F_R

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The cowling / paint color indicates a 1968 Model.----All the same motor for many years.-----Myself I would pull it apart to inspect coils ( likely new or old and cracked ) .---All the factory ignition coils on the motors have cracked.--Replace head gasket if original.----Replace impeller before putting it on a boat.----Parts new and used are easy to find in my opinion.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
check compression and... try to find a nice old shifter handle !
Fisherman 6hp great little engines cheap on fuel smooth running
and easyto srvice... carb should be openned up and clean all passages
if carefull all it needs is a good clean up .. clean the screen on the fuel pump. !

you may want to check the thermostat .. it should open up aroun140 degrees in hot water ....try not to break the gasket. under the cover and the rubber one on the rim

drop the GC oil and refill if you find no water . if you find water or emulsified oil/water a reseal in needed ....some don't bother and just change the oil mid season.

Last edited:

ugmold

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stuck it in a water barrel, shot oil in the cylinders and carbs, pulled it over a few times slow. Had spark (weakish) shot some gas/oil in the carb, started up. Hitched it to a boat gas tank and almost got it to idle. I didn't run it long, but it seems very strong. Didn't come with a prop, I think I can use the one off my 9.5.
Still don't know the horsepower, looks a older than my 1970 9.5.

ugmold

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like I need a 2 blade prop for this engine, 0386955 OMC Johnson Evinrude 6 HP Outboard Propeller 380958 Prop 8 x 7 1/4 Pitch,
Do you think there would be any harm using my 3 blade off my 1971 Johnson 9.5?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What is the pitch of the 9.5 prop ?---What boat ?-----What are you doing with the boat ?

ugmold

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the pitch of the 9.5 prop ?---What boat ?-----What are you doing with the boat ?
I think the 9.5 has the stock prop and by looking it up, it is a 3 Blade 8.25x8RH. The prop itself has a stamp that says 8 1/4 x 8 1/2.
My intent is to run it on my pond. It is usually just me in a 12 foot aluminum, having some fun.

ugmold

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a decent Prop etc, motor runs great, love it. The only problem I have is the steering is loose as can be. Is there a friction adjustment I can make?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes there is a friction adjustment.----Usually you can use a screwdriver or socket on it.----Also has a spring.----If you can not find it ask again.

ugmold

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes there is a friction adjustment.----Usually you can use a screwdriver or socket on it.----Also has a spring.----If you can not find it ask again.
I'm wondering if mine might be missing? I recall my 9.5 having a screw inside the cowl.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Doubt the screw is missing !---The 6 HP is not to be compared to the 9.5 HP.----Lay this motor down with transom clamps facing the sky.-----Now look down past the clamps and you will see the screw.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Has the typical " broken shift handle "------Have seen many different fixes for that.----Having a shop do a factory replacement is a shocking expense !