Getting shocked in forward and reverse.

marshall5744

Recruit
Bought a 1972 bowrider with a johnson 65hp . Have rebuilt carbs and fuel pump. Starts and runs great. BUT, the engine and throttle control shock the crap out of me in forward and reverse. I have run it at night and can't see any sparks. Had a bare wire on the rectifier I fixed.
Need some advice on what might be shorting out on the engine or controls.
Thanks.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Bought a 1972 bowrider with a johnson 65hp . Have rebuilt carbs and fuel pump. Starts and runs great. BUT, the engine and throttle control shock the crap out of me in forward and reverse. I have run it at night and can't see any sparks. Had a bare wire on the rectifier I fixed.
Need some advice on what might be shorting out on the engine or controls.
Thanks.
Probably something inside the box.

I know a few captains that could use that function!

stresspoint

Ensign
anti theft device , please post what the cause was so as i can set up a switch :devilish:.

would be a great trick to play on a mate as well , im always working on boats for mates , some i would love to see there reaction to a shock wwhen the put their boat in gear (y)

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you disconnect the black and yellow wire at the powerpack and the problem goes away, you then know the problem is that kill circuit insulation is breaking down somewhere. Note - if you do this you'll need to choke the motor to make it stop running as the kill circuit will be disabled.

marshall5744

Recruit
Will let you know what I find, stresspoint, you sadist.
Can't find a wiring diagram with a black and yellow wire on it.
Thanks.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Interesting. Years ago I raced tunnel hulls and during 1 race I was getting electricuted the whole race by the shifter.... Either the rectifier or the coil pack was loose. Once I tightened the mounting bolts it quit. Not sure if it used the mounts for the ground. Another guy had a shocking experience during the same race...

marshall5744

Recruit
Interesting. I'll clean and check those mounts. The shifter/throttle is where it got me the first time.( got me like 5 times before started asking for help). Duuhh
Thanks