FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
The original issue was no fire to the spark plugs and going through checking wires, components, etc. to determine the problem. Took off mercury switch, disconnected remote control kill wire, etc,
I appreciate the responses.
I had pulled the coil and checked it with a multi-meter based on this youtube video.
The secondary output showed nothing just like the video.
Agree about your confusing comment. Searching for parts using the serial number on the mounting bracket does not match up with how the ignition parts look. From some additional googling it looks like the ignition is from a 1971-73 Mercury 500. I was hoping that the red coil could be replaced...
I have a 50 hp Mercury with a bad coil. I do not have the exact year for the ignition. The engine had the power head replaced when my dad bought the boat/engine in 1985. The serial number on the mounting bracket shows 5336558 which is 1979 but the ignition is an ignition driver set up and the...