FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Got it! Thanks. The rectifier was faulty. Good voltage coming from the stator, but current flowing both ways across one of the diodes in the rectifier. I'll see if I can swap it out. And that it is a 2001 model, despite being made in 2000, helps clarify.
I don't see any rise, or any change as the motor shifts from idle to ~2500 RPMs. So now could the problem be in the rectifier, or in the stator? Help videos I see online for testing rectifiers look very different from my set up.
Thanks so much for this! I just inherited this boat with no manuals or anything. I actually didn't know they did separate oil back then. Are there any sources where I could learn about how to test the charging system on this one?
Hey all, I am tearing my hair out trying to get parts and a manual for the outboard we have. It is a Johnson 50 HP four-stroke, supposedly made September 2000. The model number on the plate is J50PLSIB -- but I see this referred to occasionally as a 2-stroke, but it takes straight gas and has...