FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I'm looking to buy this used Johnson 8HP. When I asked him the shaft length he said from the plate above the prop to the clamp is 18".
Is this considered short or long shaft. I need a long. I thought short is 15", long is 20"
I'm starting to look for a used 9.9. No hurry mind you, just kind-of looking. It seems like most used motors are from the 70's. I'd like to find something no more than 10 years old.
Nada prices are about 600. for a 1997 9.9 Merc.
Is this realistic? Is fall and winter a good "off season" buyers...
I understand that if the transom to bottom of boat is 15" you need a short shaft. 20" a long shaft. I have a 1978 starcraft seafarer. The top of transom to the bottom of boat =17".
Do I use a short or long shaft outboard?