Recent content by Captain Caveman

  1. Captain Caveman

    Crazy happening in My area,.....

    At this point, Maine DOT has no other option. They are screwed from a public perception standpoint. If they used another composite girder and it collapsed causing injury or death, decision-makers would be going to jail. They have zero choice but to switch back to steel from a liability...
  2. Captain Caveman

    Cancer. My turn in the barrel.

    Fight to win brother
  3. Captain Caveman

    Help - Boat Accident and Insurance

    You rock. I appreciate the time that you put into researching this and providing a detailed answer. The value that you came up with seems consistent with the ranges that I found in my research. I am in the upper mid-west, so the two sales that you found were helpful even if for bigger boats...
  4. Captain Caveman

    Help - Boat Accident and Insurance

    Thanks JustJason. That was the kind of great information that I was hoping to learn. It is a big insurance company - one of the good ones in my opinion. Last summer when a guy heavily damaged the back of my truck with his e-bike, the same insurance company paid for everything including a nice...
  5. Captain Caveman

    Help - Boat Accident and Insurance

    Lots of great replies. I appreciate all of them and am always happy to hear more. To be clear, none of this claim is going through my insurance. Therefore I don't know how the other party's insurance policy is structured. It sounds like my best path is to negotiate the price as high as...
  6. Captain Caveman

    Help - Boat Accident and Insurance

    I finally got into the shop to buy all of my maintenance parts/fluids for winterization later this fall. Regarding how insurance companies determine what gets totaled, the shop guys said that insurers typically value the entire package as one - boat, motor, trailer. They total your entire...
  7. Captain Caveman

    safety chain question

    I guarantee that 9 out of 10 people that buy a setup like that will never use it. It's like the jeeps that you see driving through the city with spare gas tanks and winches that are as pristine as the day that the professional installer put them on the vehicle for its owner.
  8. Captain Caveman

    How do i get this out?

    Have you tried eating plant food? It might help the bush.
  9. Captain Caveman

    Servicing my trailer bearings

    When dealing with a lot of grease, I use those cheap, disposable nitrile gloves. For packing, I put grease into the palm of the glove and then start working the bearing into the grease. As alldodge mentioned, make sure that you see grease coming out of every crevice. If you're doing one...
  10. Captain Caveman

    stupid question - trailer lights

    Well now you've learned your lesson. Never swap engines! 🙃
  11. Captain Caveman

    Ethanol!

    I only buy my E0 (non-oxy) from stations that I know sell a lot of the stuff. They get enough business so that the gas is replenished on a regular basis and is therefore fresher. Stations that don't sell a lot of it may also mix it with other fuels. I would think that if this Consumer Advocate...
  12. Captain Caveman

    Help - Boat Accident and Insurance

    A month and a half ago, some young person driving a company car tried to exit the highway from the middle lane. I was in the right lane and swerved into the shoulder to avoid the collision and laid on the horn. The driver moved back into their lane, slowed slightly and then attempted to cut...
  13. Captain Caveman

    Piston soaking a 2 cycle outboard?

    This is kind of like using the Atkins diet to stay in shape. The diet was created as a last-ditch effort to help morbidly obese people. I think this is Chris1956's point, that you may be using an extreme measure for perceived maintenance. I guess that my question would be if there is a piston...
  14. Captain Caveman

    How to correct positive camber

    Spindle is straight. The trailer is 15yrs old and has been like this from day 1. I've changed the bearings five times. Tires are at 50psi before each trip and the bearings are topped off with grease (that's part of my pre-trip checklist). My 500mile drive to the cabin and back involves one 90...
Top