FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I will try to work something out with them. Thank you for this red flag. Yes, now it occurs to me that the power to the coils is from the stator, isolated from the DC bus, so this starter theory is not the answer. Can't hurt to have a peek at the starter and run the armature on the growler...
Thank you very much for this valuable information and guidance. Sorry for the radio silence. I can only advance the conversation when I receive new information. I am not hands-on with the engine--just a parts man. My posts are admittedly speculative and incorrect. The compression theory was...
I have a condenser (capacitor) tester so we can test them. The engine is not at my shop; the small engine mechanic has it, so I am working off of descriptions, diagrams, videos and images.
My understanding of the mag setup is there is a primary coil up top under the flywheel, and then a coil...
One tweak to my description of the problem, from the mechanic:
Neither plug is installed. Each is mechanically grounded. Have spark when rotating engine. Lose spark on both when a small amount of compression is built in the lower cylinder. Does anyone have a crankcase diagram for a 25014?
Thinking on this more I like the theory that the crank has slop so that the flywheel goes out of gap spec or physically contacts the stator. Has anyone seen this happen?
Hello,
I am a DC electrical parts man. We're helping a local guy get his 1954 Evinrude 25 (#25014 I believe) going. We are observing strange behavior and this forum seems to be the best place on earth to research it. I have searched the forum and did not come across this specific problem...