what can I expect from smart tabs ?

tomcatcain

Cadet
Installed smart tabs on my 1903 trophy this winter.haven,t had the boat out yet.How or what kind of effect can I expect from these in the ocean? Thanks !!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: what can I expect from smart tabs ?

TCC, I don't think your question can be reasonably answered with knowing the issues that caused you to install them in the first place.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If bow rise during hole shot was an issue originally it will be noticeably less with Smart Tabs. If getting on plane was a problem it will be less with Smart Tabs. If staying on plane was an issue it will not be with Smart Tabs. You can use far less trim with Smart Tabs which lets the prop push straight ahead instead of at an angle.

tomcatcain

Cadet

Thanks for the replies.Have a 120 hp force on the boat,slow out of the hole to plane out.Hard to keep on plane at slow speeds.Comming back in through breakers kind of scary if you let the swell get a little ahead of you getting bow down tough then! Thanks again all ....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by tomcatcain:<br /> Comming back in through breakers kind of scary if you let the swell get a little ahead of you getting bow down tough then!
I don't think that any trim tabs are going to help this situation. In this instance you need to better quarter the back side of the swell.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

You're right about his technique for handling the backside, but the tabs will minimize roll while quartering. Still a win-win.