Sea King 3 HP water pump

I recently purchased a 3 HP Sea King outboard motor. The Model # is: GG9006A The serial # is: 75X668945 The year is possibly a 1957.<br /><br />It seems to run good, although I can't really tell because it will not pump water. I disassembled the lower unit and checked the pump.<br />This pump is like no other I have ever seen. It does not have a rotating impeller. It is a one piece, round rubber ring with a straight 'nipple' extending from it to secure it in place. It appears that the eccentric steel cam inside the center of the rubber causes water to be forced around the outside of the ring (inside the housing) and into the tube feeding the cooling chambers.<br /><br />The rubber ring appears too large for the application. Either it has<br />swelled, or the previous owner installed the wrong size. There is too<br />much 'slack' in the ID and the eccentric will does not compress the rubber. Also, the OD fits tight against the housing so there is no room for water to pass.<br /><br />I am looking for information as to where I might purchase the correct size pump for this model. Are there outlets for these old parts? Does any one have a manual on this model?<br /><br />TIA to all responses

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Sea King 3 HP water pump

if its like MY sea king, it dont have a normal water pump. its air cooled and that pump is just to cool the exhaust so the leg dont get hot and crack

alcan

Commander

Hi Joe<br />Your Sea king model is indeed a 1957 model. It was made by OMC's Gale div. The equivlent Gale model # is 3D14. These empellers can still be had. I am not sure where right now. Try Napa auto parts. They have a marine parts catolog and sell Sierra brand after market parts. <br />The empeller used in the Gale motors is a little bit larger than the empeller used in the Johnson TN,TD or HD series motors. If you have no luck, some one here is sure to steer you on to one.

alcan

Commander

Hi Joe<br />Your motor is not like Mike's. It is water cooled and needs to have the cooling system working.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe, I found the impeller for my sea king at NAPA, they do not stock the housing only the impeller. They also carry the necessary rebuild kits for the carb. If you need one. So far they have had or can order anything I have needed.<br />Good luck<br />Ray

Drowned Rat

Captain

Joe. Twin city outboards has those for $20. They do swell after a couple of seasons and then are useless. Like alcan said, your powerhead is water cooled so don't run the motor til you replace the piece. Give Twin City a call and they'll get you one lickety split. :D