2000 OX66 225hp surging & bogging above 3000RPM

goose70

Cadet
I have read about surging problems on this site and other sites, but have yet to find a solution to my problem. Last year I noticed it surge/bog (by about 200-400 RPMS in about 20 second intervals, although not necessarily regular). My mechanic cleaned the very gunked-up O2 filter and it worked fine. He also replaced the oil pump, since the old pump was putting way too much oil out (and likely contributing to the gunking). It then ran fine all of Nov '04 and up until July this year.<br /><br />In mid-July, it started doing the same "bogging" in RPMS, then suddenly worked fine. I then managed to get a tank of bad gas (about 2 gallons of water in it), so the mechanic pumped out the water, changed the fuel-water seperator, checked the pump filters and "blew out" the lines.<br /><br />I then took the boat out on Labor Day and it ran fine for about 30 minutes in the 3600-4000RPM range. For the last couple of minutes, though, I opned her up to 5200 and the bogging began again. Yesterday, I took her out again and the bogging was worse than ever. While she ran very well up to around 2000 (maybe even 2500), she bogged pretty severly above 3000 (300-500 RPM fluctuations constantly, not just every 20 seconds but a near continuos up and down).<br /><br />Reading other posts related to other motors, I see the following culprits appear over and over:<br /><br />(1) Bad O2 sensor (but mine was cleaned last Fall and has about 80 hours since then...much of it trolling, though);<br /><br />(2) Clogged VST filter (not sure what that is);<br /><br />(3) Bad fuel pump (can I simply squeeze the rubber ball while its bogging to see if the motor stops bogging, thereby indicating that I do have a bad pump?);<br /><br />(4) Clogged injectors (can I simply put standard injector cleaner into the gas?).<br /><br />My mechanic doubts the problem is electrical since it runs fine at low speeds and Yammie electrical systems don't often go bad.<br /><br />Thanks for any input you can offer!

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 OX66 225hp surging & bogging above 3000RPM

Jeff,<br /> What I have learned here on this forum:<br />- Filter change - change the water seperator, filter visable under the cowling and the VST filter. Cost about 100 bucks in parts. <br />- If your low pressure pumps (diaphram type) have not been replaced yet (2 year intervals?), include these as well as they are a common failure. Cost about 30 bucks @ and there are 3. <br />- Check the spark plug resistor ends, if more than 5K ohms replace. Cost about 10 bucks @.<br />- O2 sensor cleaning is 100 hr intervals (I think). I would test it before cleaning and after.<br />- Check the fuel line for restrictons - use a vacuum guage on the incoming fuel line.<br />I'm sure others will fill in what I've missed.... <br /><br />This list solutioned the surging problem on my '99 225's.<br />There are many other routine mainenance items that should not be overlooked as well.

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clean the VST Filter, actually just replace it, then see how she does. I bet this solves your problem.

goose70

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. My mechanic said that he cleaned the VRT filter last week. Is that the same thing?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

run the engine on the water with the fuel pressure guage installed, note the fuel pressure as the problem occurs. check your pumps dont have clear diaphragms. if they do change them. if they dont and havent been serviced recently change them anyway. its been my expierience its cheaper to change the pumps wholesale then take the time to rekit them.

goose70

Cadet

Thanks. I suspect that the pumps are original to the motor, meaning that they have nearly five years and over 350 hours on them. They probably need to be replaced, based on what you and others are saying. We're also going to check the O2 sensor this weekend and clean it if necessary.<br /><br />I'm still troubled that my mechanic has never heard of a VST filter. I wonder if the VRT filter to which he refers is the same thing.

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

VST = Vapor Separating Tank - (or something like that). It is the large aluminium casting that is on the Port side of the engine. It is basically a float type fuel bowl that the high pressure pump pulls the fuel from. The VST filter attaches to the inlet of the high pressure pump.<br />Look here under you year/model number and use the "fuel injection pump" page to see the exploded diagram.<br /> http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

goose70

Cadet

Thanks again. This is my first time using this forum and I'm very impressed with the response from you all. I'll be sure to check it periodically so that maybe I can give a little back in the off chance that someone posts a question that I can help with.<br /><br />I'll also let you know what the sollution ultimately ends up being for the surging.

goose70

Cadet

Armed with this information, my mechanic came back out and found that water was still in the gas. He drained the filters and we tested the motor on a short (15 minute) run at 4800 RPM. It ran fine, so he didn't see a need to do further work (although the VST filter looked clean to him).<br /><br />Regarding the water problem, I'll post seperately on that since it is a continuing issue.