4stroke vs 2stroke

Gmarkos319

Seaman Apprentice
Are there any big disadvantages to 4stroke engines? I like the idea that you dont have to change the oil everytime you fill up and 4strokes are much quieter but why doesnt everyone use them then? there has to be some catch that im not getting lol. Any help would be great.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4stroke vs 2stroke

To get the same power a 4 stroke is much heavier. There are more service requirements when compared to a basic pre-mix 2 stroke. Even some 2 strokes such as those with fuel and oil injection require a good deal of servicing. My choice is a basic premix 4 stroke as in the Yamaha Enduro range. Tried and true technology and very little to go wrong.

Triton II

Commander

G'day SSS,<br /><br />I have a 2003 model FT60B Yamaha 4-stroke which has done 300 or so trouble free hours on the back of my 16ft aluminium cuddy cabin. It weighs about 30lbs more than the equivalent Yamaha two-stroke. The maintenance is simple and the engine is very quiet and smoke free at idle. I think people still buy two-strokes because they're cheaper to buy - but IMHO they're definitely more expensive to run and are not as quiet. I think $10 worth of oil and a filter every 50 hours is worth the hassle of the 4-stroke as the thing only uses about 4 gallons of fuel an hour at 25 kts. My cousin's 60 hp Johnson 2-stroke uses double that in a 15 ft Savage aluminium runabout. What he saved in purchase price he's paid for in fuel consumption and now I'm ahead! Your choice but don't be put off by extra maintenance - it's not at all hard.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-repair topic.