Yamaha Smoking

rocker3

Cadet
Got this motor real cheap. 1995 25 hp,model 25msht.Put in tank and it runs ok but it smokes. Also looks like oil coming out of the exhaust.Anyone know what going on? Thanks

rocker3

Cadet
Re: Yamaha Smoking

This motor has oil injection. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The brand of oil used directly relates to the smoke produced. Price doesn't seem to matter. Some just smoke more than others.

rocker3

Cadet

Thanks...I think there's more wrong than just the brand of oil.When I say it smokes I mean real bad. Could it be bad rings? also a loud banging noise when you give it gas and let off.What about the oil coming out of the exhaust? Thanks rocker

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like a check valve in the oil pump or a oil pump shaft seal has failed. time to break out the service manual and test each component.

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there a rod that connects the oil pump to the throttle linkage? Mine came off this year smoked way more than usual reattached it and back to normal. I have a 115 so it may be a different setup.

rocker3

Cadet

Thanks bluebird. Don't see any rod off. The river is up now so I can take it out and run it and see what happens.

rocker3

Cadet

Took it to the river and no more smoke and it runs great. Don't know what was going on with the smoking.Not a bad motor for a $100.00..Thanks

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well thats great, but if it smokes again after its tilted up and stored for a while rodbolt is probably right checkvalves in the oil lines.<br />When they leak you get a nice big blue cloud at start up. The good news is the mosquitos all go away!