no telltale water stream after water pump rebuild

fastkenny

Seaman
I just replaced the water pump on the first of my twin '88, 150 hp, 2 stroke Yamahas. After install, I started up the motor on muffs and no tell tale pee stream. I let it run about 30-40 sec then shut it down. Tried again, same result. I checked the pee nozzle for crud and it was clean. I've use the same muffs before and always had a stream, although weak. Anything I should try/check before I remove LU to make sure I did it right? I was going to try running it in a barrel vs. muffs next.<br /><br />The lower came off easily and everything went smoothly. The old impeller was in good shape and in one piece, and the new parts went in with no problem.<br />Rodbolt, thanks for the hints, especially for getting the old key out of the shaft. <br />The lower unit went back is easily, just needed a little wiggle to line up the splines. Is it possible that the water tube didn't mate properly?<br />This is a counter rotating motor. When putting the cover over the impeller, I rotated the shaft clockwise per the manual, I assumed it applied to CR as well. (the diff with CR is the gears, not the shaft rotation, right (?))<br /><br />Also, Rodbolt, per you suggestion, I removed the rubber dam and cleaned it out good and reinstalled it (it was pretty cruddy). Even when all cleaned up, the metal base plate still overlaps the rubber by 1/8" or so. It tightened down fine though, didn't see any gap beneath the plate.<br /><br />Any suggestions? THANKS

alotto

Cadet
Re: no telltale water stream after water pump rebuild

I had the same problem when I replaced my impeller.I finally decided to put it in the water. It pumped fine. I believe my muffs were not providing enough water to satisfy the installation of the new pump. Since then, I have been able to use my muffs again.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

did you check the pressure valve grommet?

fastkenny

Seaman

I didn't get that far, it got cold and started raining pretty hard!<br /><br />I plan to service the tstats and grommets as well as relacing the fuel pumps before putting the boat in the water. Figured the water pumps would be hardest so did them first.<br /><br />Regardless, when I put the motors up for the winter, the telltale flowed on the muffs. Now with the new water pump it doesn't. Might the valve have gotten stuck over the layup? Even if the pressure valve is stuck, would that restrict water flow to the telltale?<br /><br />Also, re: the rubber dam in the lower, is the metal plate supposed to overlap it a bit? No mention of it in the manual.<br /><br />Thanks, Rodbolt

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Be sure the tell tail hose is clear from the block to the grommet. Often blocked in our area from dirt dobbers during the winter.

fastkenny

Seaman

Thanks,<br />I tightened the spring that holds the muffs to get a better seal and removed an inline valve that was on the hose (didn't see it before), got great flow from the telltale. Did the second motor (took only 50 minutes this time) and it had much greater water pressure from the telltale after replacing the pump.<br /><br />Next I cleaned out the pressure valve grommets on both motors. There was lots of crud that was preventing the valve from closing all the way. I learned that when removing the grommet to clean, it is VERY easy to loose the grommet inside the motor if not careful! Luckily I was able to grab it with long needlenose pliers.<br /><br />How often should the Tstats be serviced/replaced? Should I leave them alone if I don't suspect a problem? Or should they be replaced every so often?<br /><br />THANKS