Yamaha 200 OX66 Salt. Ser. II????

dartster2

Cadet
Anchor line got caught in my prop but did not get chewed up...i trimmed up engine and removed line...no visable damage......noticed that it would not start after that.....also noticed that the prop did not spin in neutral....could the engine be stuck in gear or is there a more serious problem????...please help...thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 200 OX66 Salt. Ser. II????

are you sure you shifted back to neutral? check the shift slide to see if its in the center when the shifter is in neutral.<br /> good luck and keep posting

dartster2

Cadet

i did try and push the shifter in neutral but i remember in the past when the boat was in gear and i tried to start it that it wouldn't ever turn over..this time is tries to turn over but never starts....is there something internal in the shifter that is out of place or is the lower unit out of wack....like i said the line only got caught in the prop for a slight moment and no damage to the line, so i don't think it did anything internal to the lower unit......do yam's have some sort of safty precaution and shut engine down so lower unit does not fault...maybe have to reset something?....really am at a loss.....thanks

dartster2

Cadet

Also could the shift slide internally be stuck in gear or in between neutral and gear???...How do i correct it?....thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I doubt the line caused a problem but its possible. I would think you have a coincedental problem. time to trouble shoot the problem. your first post did not indicate it turned over at all. time to drop the lower and see if the problem is powerhead or lower unit. first double check all cable adjustments .<br /> good luck and keep posting

dartster2

Cadet

thanks Rodbolt....i'm going to do that this upcoming weekend...i'll keep ya posted...thanks again for the info....

thrillinmillin

Recruit

Like Rodbolt said, be sure to check cable/linkage adjustments. I had one that the neutral switch was just a little out of adjustment, and it would crank over but wouldn't start unless you jiggled the shifter a little to make up that switch.<br /><br />Neutral switch should be easy to see; just look at the linkage under the cowl that moves when you shift and the switch is contacts it somewhere.

dartster2

Cadet

I made an apointment to bring the boat in for service at a Yamaha authorized repair shop....i honestly forgot i had an extended warranty on the engine..i'll let them look at it and fix it....i'm gonna tell em it just doesn't start and let them find and fix the problem...not going to give them a big explanation so they may have a argument as to who's fault the problem is......i'll keep you guys posted...again thanks for the ifo.....

dartster2

Cadet

Rodbolt.......Brought my motor to a service dealer and they said it was the lower unit...seal broke and gears spun but i had extended warranty so they fixed it....thank god i had the warranty.....they said after about ten hours take out the lower unit oil screw and see if there are bigger chunks of metal on the screw and said if there is they there may be more of a problem!...Don't understand that comment...didn't they fix it?...why would there be another problem without them seeing in when it was diagnosed????.....Getting boat back tomorrow......Everything worked out ok i guess....would have been a disaster without the warranty...about $2500 according to the service dealer....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like you need to find a dealer that not only has experience with gears and power transmissions but is more honest. if he will steal from yamaha think what he will do to you.<br /> good luck and keep posting