How to drop oil injection and premix

FireAm94

Seaman Apprentice
After talking to my local Yamaha guy he suggested to not "take a chance" and perform premix. #1. Does anything need to be disconnected if i'm going to premix? #2. Do I mix 50:1? #3. I assume that I use standard 2 cycle outboard oil (I ask this one as a precaution....I don't like to spell out the word "*** u me".<br /><br />Thanx<br />Joe

FireAm94

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to drop oil injection and premix

BTW....this is a 40HP Yamaha ESK.<br /><br />Thanx<br />Joe

LubeDude

Admiral

Great dealer you got there! Has no faith in his own equipment! Unless there is something really wrong with your system, there is NO reason to do it! Yamahas oil injection system is one of the best out there! Even if there is a problem you are better off having it repaired! Premixing is a last resort type thing, and really doesnt work well unless its on a Bass boat that is used in the upper RPM range most of the time! You will be Much happier leaving it alone!

FireAm94

Seaman Apprentice

I was actually about to post. I searched earlier and found nothing but I must have mis-typed hehe. I didn't realize their injection system was that good. Is it a bear to rebuild the system? It's working fine now from what i've been told but I don't wanna blow the motor because of pump failure. Also does a normal Yamaha dealer sell the parts to rebuild it?<br /><br />Joe

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

There are many, many good discussions on this issue if you search properly. Keep the oil injection. Most of the (few) problems with Yamaha oil injection are over-oiling not under. An added benefit is that the oil is injected into the intake manifold and in the event of a gummed up main carb jet your engine will still get oil and will survive.

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

keep the existing system. read my problems in this forum as a result of disconnecting!. about 8 down..under the heading"1994 Yamaha 225-SWS- 2 stroke"

FireAm94

Seaman Apprentice

I decided to keep it. I just need to know what is involved or what needs to be done to make sure this system gets the required maintainance so it doesn't fail on me.<br /><br />Joe

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Firstly, buy yourself a manual for your motor, it's worth it's weight in gold!<br /><br />Remove the oil tank, clean any slug, check all oil lines are in good shape, and the level switch is working. Refill with Yamlube, bleed the pump, as described in the manual and then premix the first tank of gas so you can monitor the oil level is dropping and the system is working correctly.<br /><br />That's about it!

FireAm94

Seaman Apprentice

Thanx for all the responses guys. I'm new to boat motors but have plenty of mechanical experience from building my T/A as a street class drag racer. It is somewhat different but outboards are much much less complicated hehe.<br /><br />Joe

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try keeping a log of fuel and oil used on your trips it will help alert you to a problem in your system. Eg blocking up of oil filter or pump not working as well as it used to. Eg burning 50 litres of fuel towing the kids around the river at WOT should probably burn about .8-1 litre of oil. Cruising a lower speeds should use less. once you have an idea of what oil you should use,if this figure starts to drop look closely at the oil systems. Checking the alarm is a great idea. The real advantage of keeping your oil injection connected is less smoke for you and you friends when idling and less oil in the water which we are all out enjoying!