Cant get Suzuki DT85 to plane right

Adza Ford

Cadet
Ive got what seems a usual question..... I rebuilt the carbs, replaced coil pacs, plugs, gapped them even, new battery, new gearbox oil, the right prop, a few test runs with the local dealer and it feels like at full throttle im running half throttle and it feels like i keep hitting sand bars but im in deep water. It idles ok for about 2 minutes then coughs and stops then i end up flooding it sometimes trying to start it . I was told the stutter from the engine could be the dog clutch. Ive also checked pr-load on the shaft while in gear and the prop bushes are new. and advise would be appreciated. Thanx.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cant get Suzuki DT85 to plane right

hello<br /> dude now the fun begins.<br />the cough is due to a lean air/fuel mix.<br /> you will need a test wheel, a timing light and a stevens CD-77 peak reading multi meter.<br /> you will have to make sure the engine powers up on the test wheel to the recommended RPM and test the primary coil voltage and ign timing while running. also try spraying some premix in the carbs while running to test for lean condition. maybe a restricted fuel system or weak fuel pump. <br />good luck and keep posting

Cannon

Cadet

Sounds like you are running on two cylinders. The Suzuki 85 was notorious for blowing head gaskets. Especially after the very slightest overheat. Look at the spark plugs. If one is real clean, that is where your gasket leak is.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Rodbolt may have solved the problem which you are experiencing.<br />Last summer a fellow boater on the lake solved an almost identical issue by adjusting what as i recalled to be the cable barrel. :)

Adza Ford

Cadet

Thanx guys for the replies..... Theres been wisper here about fuel probs but it seemed like the prob was else where because i had the carb pulled down and rebuilt. As for runninig on 2 cyls .... it was at one stage and the faulty one replaced with a second hand unit. The spark on that one ...to me ....doesnt seem as strong as the others . is there a way to check this? Its such a pain because ive nearly checked everything... but i will do as you said and post the results tomorrow night. I was told it could be a worn crank case seal any thoughts on that one? Thanx again guys

Adza Ford

Cadet

well i took it out for a blast this afternoon unexpectedly..... it ran on all 3 cyls still surged, still stalled alot at idle and was bloody hard to start after 2 weeks of not starting, has plenty of spark, plenty of fuel, BUT ... When i took the cover off the carbie throats and put my hand over the throats the top and the bottom didnt make much of a difference to the running, but the middle one nearly stalled the engine. Now ive noticed some black oil ( probably feul oil) sitting in the well where the motor sits. I once had a fuel leak but it was apparently fixed. I pulled the carbs once before and blew them out with high pressure air then the real mechanics did the same and recons they are fine and tuned.

Adza Ford

Cadet

hey all,<br /> I put a kit through the fuel pump and played with all the linkages so they all open and shut at the same time and now she purs like a kitten at idle , it does not stall any more but at full throttle it still has a faint miss fire. What used to be full throttle is now three quarters. It runs great but not perfect. I cant be fussy .<br /><br /> C ya later .