Are pre "Saltwater Series" a problem?

scottoz

Seaman
I have a 93 115 V4 oil injected Yammy, that runs like a dream on a 21' Seafarer (GPR Half cabin cruiser). I seems to have been well cared for before I got it. It has 500 hours on it. There are no cracks on gearbox housing. There seems to be no corrosion anywhere (less even than my 2000 60hp Merc - it seems to have mild steel bolts that corrode on the outside of the bracket). I always flush it out with fresh water after salt runs. It has always been a salt water motor. My mechanic who is not a dealer is very impressed by the Yammy stuff. I asked him if mine had a stainless drive shaft. He said that it did, but that back then Yammy's stainless steel was not as good as the newer stuff. In terms of the water passages in the motor, the shaft and other components are they a problem. What was so good about the newer models. My concern is that Yammy decided to call the later stuff "Saltwater Series" which implies that the earlier stuff was more suited to fresh water!<br /><br />Cheers all

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Are pre "Saltwater Series" a problem?

hello<br /> I think mostly it was a marketing ploy. kinda like the ocean pro from OMC. the shift shafts on the yammi's did have some corrosion problems. they had a tendancy to rust in two between the lower unit and the power head. but the power head mounting bolt holes are tapered being smaller at the bottom than the top and sometimes the bolts are impossible to remove. it can make a 50 dollar part take 18 hours and 500 dollars worth of other parts to change.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Jammu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Are pre "Saltwater Series" a problem?

The shift shaft is no problem on that year's engine anymore. I think that the last shaft problem was on the 1991 model??