steering problem with a 115 merc.

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I installed a new steering cable in my 115 merc. I have noticed that the motor dosn't turn as much while turning left as much as it does to the right (ofcourse opposite of the angle of the motor.) This is quite a bit of difference. Is thie normal or something wrong here. Also I noticed that when the steering rod is fully retracted while turning left, the steering rod hits and rubs on the motor frame as shown in the following pic. Is this normal? I didn't have anything to compare to with the older cable becauase it was froze up when I got it.<br />It still retracts all of the way but it does rub enough to wear a rough spot on the motor frame.<br />
824526752_m.jpg

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: steering problem with a 115 merc.

Sorry "Homie" I can't help you on this one. But I don't think it should be rubbing.

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What other kinds of link arms are there, and where do I even begin to look? I am assuming that it will probably help the steering difference between right and left too.

phatmanmike

Captain

westmarine, boaters world, boat us, iboats.com, mercruiserparts.com, outboardparts.com, mercurymarine.com, any mercury dealer, ebay.com.<br />as you can see in these pics, they come in different sizzes and shapes. if its too long and/ or too short, it will steer really strong to one side and will not steer enough to the other. you may need one that has a nice hump in it such as the bottom one in these pics.<br /><br />here is the link to it on ebay. <br />
40158.gif
<br />
67_1.JPG
<br />
d4_1_b.JPG

studlymandingo

Commander

Mike is certainly right about the hump! Did you just replace the cable? Or did you replace the entire assembly?

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

GA Paramedic I may have one with a hump on it. It's from a 1975 850 mercury. E-mail me at rip3645@hotmail.com if you think it will help.