1984 inline 6 idle stabilizer.should i disconnect?

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class
well My 1984 inline 6 "tower of power" is running great!! thanks to all you guy's on this site,I have been reading up on the idle stabilizer and i am a little nervous about it everthing is telling me to disconnect it,i am looking for some advice.It has 3 wires coming from the bottom power pac and stop at the idle stabilizer they are black,purple,white/black stripe.If i do disconnect it can i take those 3 wires off the power pack? thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1984 inline 6 idle stabilizer.should i disconnect?

If something is running properly why would you tinker with it, If Mercury thought that it did'nt need it do you think they would have spent their money to install one.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Laddies<br /> The reason i was asking ,was because there were a lot of post out there on the idle stabilizer and most of them were in favor of disconnecting it seems from what i have read if disconnected it won't make much of a difference,on the other hand if left on and it goes bad it could do a lot of damage,years back i took off the vro on my 1987 140 evinrude"had heard of them going bad"and i had almost 10 years without so much as a hiccup from that motor i eventually sold the boat and motor,Just thought i would use that as an example thanks again

Clams Canino

Commander

I'm slightly in favor of disconnecting it. <br /><br />It normally works fine, but since it works as an automatic spark advance, one possible failure can cause it to advance the spark when it shiuld not - and melt pistons from too much advance.<br /><br />-W

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Clams,I will probably end up disconnecting ,BUT, I think i just made a mistake took off the battery to charge. when i went to put it back on i hooked up the leads wrong.i got an instant flash ,when i put the leads back to the right position on the battery the motor would not start i found the fuse it was burnt,not sure if it was a 20 amp so i put in a new 20 and it cranked once and blew that fuse next fuse it did not crank blew that one next fuse i put in it cranked about 6 revolutions then it blew that fuse i would like to know what to do next before i try it again I still can't believe i did that

Clams Canino

Commander

You prolly hosed the rectifier. Replace it and try again. Outside chance the stator went too but VERY doubtfull that happened.<br /><br />-W

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Clams I will try to replace it tommorow. I am assuming there is only one in-line fuse and not 2 of them,am i correct on this? also is this a 20 amp fuse the old one was hard to read thanks

Clams Canino

Commander

I think it's only one - and a 20.<br /><br />-W

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

well Just put in the new rectifier,it sounded like it wanted to start.It cranked for about 3 revolutions then it burned the new fuse,put in another fuse and the same thing,i am wondering if i have a problem from my key switch to the solenoid,does anybody have any idea? thanks

Clams Canino

Commander

You have a real short somewhere.. try staring it with NO rectifier.<br /><br />-W

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry that it's taken so long to reply Lots of overtime"got to make the money" well Clams took the rectifier off and it started right up ,warmed it up a couple of minutes,So i put the rectifier back on and it kicked over then blew the fuse,I put another fuse in and it started right up,ran it for about a minute I then shut it off waited a couple of minutes an it started right up again.I did that a couple of more times and everything is fine ,going to try it again tommorrow,I am HOPING that the problem has cleared up.Any idea what could have happened?i will post again tommorrow if everything is fine thanks

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tried it again yesterday.motor was turning over so i turned the key swich off to primer the motor when i went to turn it on again it blew the fuse again

Clams Canino

Commander

You need to follow the +12 from the other side of the key switch to see what's shorting. It's time to grab an ohmmeter and follow everything that fuse "looks at".<br /><br />-W

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been looking at the key switch troubleshooting in my manual.I will get on it this weekend and get back to you thanks

Clams Canino

Commander

Just look for everywhere in the boat that get +12 when you turn the key to ON. Something is taking more than it should.<br /><br />-W

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

well Ckecked it today,my volt meter was not working that well ,but i noticed that the yellow wire with black stripe coming from the key switch goes thru the harness to a small piece of plastic with 2 stainless screws in it. one screw went thru the frame of the motor " i am assuming it is ground that is where the yellow/black wire was attached "and the other screw was isolated on the plastic and it had 2 black wire back to back not on ground.I am wondering if the 2 black wires should be switched with the yellow/black wire well anyways i remove the yellow/black and the motor starts up fine i am wondering if that yellow/black has any voltage in it if it does then it was grounding it out. hope i am not confusing you thanks

Clams Canino

Commander

I think that's the choke valve wires. Black outta go to the frame screw and the yellow/blk to the floating side. (or it'll blow the fuse every time you choke it)<br /><br />-W

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you very much !!! I will switch them around. if you don't see this post anymore everything is A OK