how do you throw the anchor on this boat PIC

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how do you throw the anchor on this boat PIC

Stevens, the only place in the world that is done is in Scandinavia. Nobody does it over here.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I know, but why the aversion to this? Especially on a boat like this one.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Stevens:<br /> Why not just toss the anchor from the aft?<br /><br />If you really need to have the bow face the wind & waves, you can always climb forward later and fasten the rode up front.
First, you don't "toss" the anchor, you let it down slowly while slowly backing down. This helps to "set" the anchor. <br /><br />Second, if there are waves and you anchor from the stern, you risk the waves crashing over the stern and swamping the boat. If you're anchoring on a small lake it wouldn't be a problem.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Capn Mike:<br /> And the problem is there's no center anchor cleat, but the combination bow light is neatly in the center...and in the way.
Why are so many smaller boats designed this way? Do boat manufacturers ever use their own products? :rolleyes:

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most people with small runabouts trailer to the water, boat all day, then back on the trailer at night. I would say most do not anchor, except to fish. In that case, anchoring from one of the bow cleats is just fine.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

No need to crawl anywhere. What you need to do is secure the end of the anchor line (rhode sp?) to one of the forward cleats. Run the line alongside the deck into the cockpit with the anchor. Tie another line to the anchor rhode long enough to let the anchor line out from the cockpit. When you get where you are going drop the anchor out from the cockpit playing out the line that you attached to it. Set the anchor and you are done. To hoist the anchor pull on the line attached to the anchor rhode and bring it back to the coskpit. Grab the anchor rhode and pull the anchor in. Done and no crawing involved.<br /><br />Been there and done - - - -

KRS

Banned

I'll just come and pick up the boat so you don't need to worry about it.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's how some people do it, by "manual remote control". That mount will hold the anchor hanging until you pull on the release rope. <br />
25-108_l.jpg

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Stratocaster:<br /> Most people with small runabouts trailer to the water, boat all day, then back on the trailer at night. I would say most do not anchor, except to fish. In that case, anchoring from one of the bow cleats is just fine.
That's what they plan on doing but what happens when they have an engine or electrical problem and need to anchor in a strong current ? <br /><br />It wouldn't add much to the cost of the boat to put one cleat in the center and use two navigation lights, one on each side.

Off The Hook

Cadet

Here is what I would do so you don't have to crawl to the bow.<br /><br />First, get a piece of rope about 10-15 feet long. Tie one end to the bow cleat beforeyou put it in the water, and leave it there. On the other end of that rope, tie on a good size stainless clip of some sort.<br /><br />Second, get another piece of rope about 30 feet long or so. This is going to be your pull rope. Tie a loop on one end, and hook it onto the clip.<br /><br />Third, tie a couple loops at different places on your anchor line.<br /><br />Now you can comfortably stand in the back of the boat, and throw the anchor over the side. Once you get out enough anchor line, hook the anchor line to your clip, make sure keep your pull line where you can reach it, and let it all go. When it is time to pull up anchor, use your pull line to retrieve your anchor line, un clip it, and pull it in.

magster65

Commander

I never read the other posts so maybe this was suggested already. Take a gymnist and have them cartwheel out there and drop in on while doing a handstand. If you can't swing that one try lowering your anchor from the side, set it, the tie to the closest thing you can find. If it's windy, rough or you're amongst other boats anchored from the bow you'll have to do the same. Tie a loop in the line and just drop it over the top of your cleat from the hatch. You'd only have to pop your head up through that little thing. Experiment.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is that a 2152? I had the same boat and had the same issue. I found that by pointing the bow at the shore and hitting the rocks at 27.2 mph (GPS) I could "stick" the boat and keep it from drifting in the current. <br /><br />Of course you could only do this with a KeelGuard to protect the bow and Smart Tabs to keep the stern up. I mean, you had to be prepared....<br /><br />UFM82

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Cut a square hole about 1'x1' in the bottom of the hull, up toward the bow. You can lower the anchor through that from inside the comfortable accomodations of the cuddy cabin.<br /><br />Sorry Myoutboards, I just couldn't resist! ;)