Stuck in gear

st3ph3n

Cadet
I recently replaced the impeller on my 1985 115hp Mariner and now it's stuck in gear; i.e., the prop always turns even when I'm starting the motor.<br /><br />As I was putting the foot back on, the foot got stuck and would not go all the way on. I had my son put the motor in reverse and the foot went the rest of the way on. I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem but that was the only problem I had replacing the impeller.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Stuck in gear

You will need to drop the unit and turn the shift shaft the put the upper shaft in the same gear and reinsall the unit

st3ph3n

Cadet

What "gear" does it need to be in when I drop the foot? I'm assuming it doesn't matter since it's not configured properly.<br /><br />Once I have the foot off, I'm assuming all I have to do is turn the shift shaft on the foot to get in or out of gear. What "gear" does it need to be in when I reinstall it; forward or neutral?<br /><br />Finally, what do I do if it hangs up again when I'm trying to put the foot on? Can I wiggle the gear selector in the boat slightly to get the splines to match up?

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone uses something else. Some prefer forward, others reverse. I prefer neutral. And yes, you can wiggle the lever in the boat a bit. But as soon as the splines have engaged, check that you ar in neutral on the boat, and that the prop is in neutral. slide it on a bit further, get the splines to engage about 1/2 inch, then select forward and reverse in the boat and check that the prop is in those gears.

st3ph3n

Cadet

Got it working. Thanks!<br /><br />What I did was put it in neutral and instead of wiggling the lever in the boat I reached in between the lower unit and the motor with a pair of small pliers and turned the shift shaft until it slid into place. I tried that after about a half hour of doing it the other. Why is it I always try the simple way last?<br /><br />Thanks again.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think it's that way for alot of us. i've got to do 2 of mine.