winter maintenance

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2004 Mercury 115 ELPTO (carbureted 115 HP 2-stroke). The motor gave me a fantastic spring, summer, fall, and early winter fishing. I am working on getting it put away for the winter. I want to start out by draining the lower unit gear oil. Is it as simple as removing the plug, draining it out, and refilling it? I want to get this done prior to New Years when the warranty is up on the motor to have them cover any problems if there is water in there. Is this a good/reasonable idea? In addition, I would like to change the impeller. Should I wait until spring? Should it even have to be done? The motor has only been used this season. One last question...The motor is designed to run on 2 cylinders prior to 2000RPM. Is there a way to modify this to run on all 4 all the time? I like the feature for trolling, as it saves fuel, but I was curious how it would run on all 4 cyclinders continuously. Thanks in advance for any advice.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: winter maintenance

Read the FAQ on this topic or do a search on it or visit www.maxrules.com. All three will give you excellent advice for winterization.<br /><br />Is this used in fresh or saltwater?<br />As far as chaning the impeller, it is more than likely fine for another season. But, that's not to say you can't change it and it is good pratice to get into the habit of performing this type of maintenance, as well as other types.<br /><br />A new carb 2 stroke will last forever if you properly maintain the cooling system and keep the carbs clean.

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: winter maintenance

Sorry for the delay in reply...<br /><br />I run it in saltwater only.