water getting into gear lube

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for the long and bewildering post...Ive posted some on this subject before.. but i have some new updates. I was getting water in my lower unit on my 1980's 200hp black max. After changing water pump kit, shift shaft seal kit and prop shaft seals (both seals, not large o-ring, could not remove bearing carrier). So after all this it passed a 15 psi pressure test under water and out. So off to the lake, upon returing i checked the gear lube and it bubbled and fizzed when i stuck a hot metal rod into it (not to mention it was no longer clear, like the lube that went in) So i guess i still have a leak. My next step is where I discovered after changing the lube and running it OUT of the water but on the hose, that water was STILL getting in! So it has to be the water pump, right? I inspected it today and it was new a month ago and still looked good today, ( I made sure to reassemble it according to the exploed diagram on the mercury parts page.) and after all that STILL LEAKING! the drive shaft has a TINY ream cut out just around where the water pump, oil and water seals would sit. Would this casue a leak enough to emulsify my oil after 10 min on the hose?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: water getting into gear lube

Pressure and vacuum test the LU again. Something is clearly leaking. The water pump should have nothing to do with it. Submerge the LU in water and the leak source will be obvious.

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

hmm just curious, If my leak has nothing to do with the water pump...why would it get water in the lube , when its is not in the water but just running on the hose, where else could it be comming from?<br /><br />Hint: it leak only leaks when the drive or prop shaft is spinning thats why it holds pressure for 5 hours under water(when the drive shaft is NOT moving)

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water CAN get in thru the water pump. If the shaft seals are bad it will leak by. Make sure that the seal surface on the driveshaft does not have a nick, burr, or is worn down to where it may not seal. If it has one of these problems it may pressure test OK but once it runs awhile it will tear or wear the seal which will leak after awhile.

DHPMARINE

Captain

I never thought about doing the hot metal rod test for water,but that does'nt mean its wrong,or doesn't work.<br /><br />I'd take an oil sample,put it a glass jar and look at it tomorrow.If you see layers of fluid,you have problems.If all one color fluid,good to go ! !<br /><br />DHP

timmathis

Lieutenant

The hot metal rod test for water works well.<br />Try it for yourself. <br />Just do it with some oil in a cup, Heat a piece of Metal dip it. <br />Then add a little water and try it. pop, splash, sizzle, Water in it.

Moody Blue

Captain

There are only four places water can enter the L/U. Prop shaft seal, driveshaft seal, shift shaft seal or drain/fill seals. I have chased a problem similar to this. Ended up being the shift shaft seal (last thing I changed because it seemed least likely) but I see that you have changed that out already. If you are still getting water in the L/U after such a short run time on a hose it must be the driveshaft seals below the waterpump. Did you install the two seals in the right orientation? You mentioned that the driveshaft has slight groves worn where the seals sit. The pump is pushing water under pressure (5-15PSI) so if the seals and surface are not up to par then they most likely will leak. That being said, the pressure test with the L/U under water may not show where the leak is occuring. By pressurizing the L/U you are really only checking the integrity of the lower (oil) seal. To check the upper (water) seal you need to vacuum test the L/U. The lower seal prevents oil from leaking out of the L/U and the upper seal prevents water from entering the L/U.

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have grooves in shafts,they may be deep enough that when spining it leaks. You may have a bearing issue also on that shaft. if it is worn it will alow the shaft to slight wobble an alow water in<br />Just a thought.<br />Rich

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

hmm bearings huh?? I might check that out, I thinkif i remeber correctly that after i removed all the seals and stuff from the water pump kit the drive shaft did seem to move side to side about 1/4-1/2 inch. I just thought that the platic water pump base and seal would keep it still. are you telling me that if the drive shaft can move side to side, i may need my bearings replaced? and my next question would be, to replace the bearings i imagine you have to go in the prop shaft and remove that first? And if so, I ve tried to remove my bearing carrier by means of a air hammer to try to unscrew the carrier and it did not budge even after soaking in PB lube. It just started to break the little tabs off, i think this 1978 salty water dog is stuck for good.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

RodC has outlined the ONLY places other than a crack or hole in the L/U where water can enter the gear case. You need to go back and recheck by pressure and vacuum testing the L/U.