What does everyone think??

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer
I tested this motor today, 1998, 115Hp Mercury, 4 Cyl. 134psi across 1,2 and 4, 3 has 122psi. The motor sounded like it was running rough. I can get a fair price on it, but any idea's on what may be wrong? Electrical, carbs???<br /><br />cheers

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What does everyone think??

Were you able to check spark?<br /><br />It may just need a decarb, and the carbs rebuilt.<br /><br />Maybe you can convince Aldo (dunarunna) to come over and have a look at it with you.

tengals123

thanks for the reply. I took a qualified marine mech/inspector with me. He said it was a no-go, but pretty hard to diagnose the the problem right there and then. I could be just a de-carb, but waste of money if it's not. <br /><br />cheers

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Those are great motors when they run though. My uncle has the same year and model and it's one of the most reliable engines I've ever used. It's never a question wherether or not it'll start at the first turn of the key. You don't even hear the starter before it's running. It trolls beautifully and has plenty of power. I bet that one just needs new plugs and a carb job. I'd take a closer look before you pass it up. If the owner will let you open the inspection plate (I assume it has one, never had a reason to go into my uncle's motor) check out #3 piston for scoring. 122psi isn't too bad but even compression would be nice.<br />Eric

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Also check if all the cylinders are getting fuel and spark. Use a spark tester to check for spark. Dry each spark plug, put them back but not the plug wires, crank for a second and see if they're all wet after.<br />Eric

tengals123

thanks for your reply. I am tempted to buy it, but my mechanic has seen it and said I can do better. I'm not sure what to do????<br /><br /><br />cheers

Dunaruna

Admiral

Put yourself in the sellers shoes - he could get top dollar if he got it running smoothly, so why doesn't he? It probably needs more than just a decarb.<br /><br />Walk away. IMO.

tengals123

THANKYOU, that is the answer i've been looking for all night!<br /><br />cheers

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Is this not a 2 + 2 motor? I have a 2003 that has always run rough below 1800 on 2 cyl but once the other 2 kick in it's as smooth as a baby's bottom.

BaysideMarine

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys,<br /><br />I am the mechanic tengals took with him to check it out. This engine had apparently done 600 hrs in 7 years on the back of an old blokes fishing boat.... Thats a lot of hours for a state with an average of 25hrs per year!! The skeg was broken and bent, the prop belonged on a 70's Merc and was the wrong size, the engine was scratched up, the plastic coil mounting plate was loose as a goose and the engine would not remain running in a tank. On muffs it would keep running (no back pressure), but not in the tank. it had an almost cyclical miss or dieing out episode, corrosion on many bolt heads and generally looked like it had been poorly treated.<br /><br />I told my customer that if I was buying it into my yard that as long as I got it for the right dollar I could fix all its issues and make a dollar from it, but as a straight out purchase for someone he could get a lot more for $4800 with a lot less problems.<br /><br />But here is the clincher..... The seller 'apparently' was very recently a Mercury service manager at the main Mercury factory here in Melbourne and he is presently a teacher at a school teaching marine mechanics!!! Now, you can't tell me that he did not know that this engine was a real crapper. The physical damage, the prop, the compression issue (ok, still in spec but unusual for one of these), the corrosion and of course the inability to run in the tank. Not to mention him backing away as best he could when I spelt it out. He asked for my opinion point blank and he got it. He then went on to say that "there it is" "its as traded" gee if that isn't the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.<br /><br />Chances are it could be returned to good order and be a good engine but when I am advising a customer who wants to put his hard earned bucks into what is supposed to be a late model, good engine and it clearly isn't, I can only tell him to steer clear and wait till we can find a better engine.<br /><br />I am really disappointed with this so called Mercury employee and trade teacher who had to bloody well know that the engine he was flogging was crap..... By the way, I noticed that he had changed the gear oil and obviously the impeller...... <br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Nicholas

tengals123

Nicholas, you are a great man. I threw this up as we discussed. Although i'm natually disappointed, due to my circumstances (photo shoot), i could'nt be happier with your diagnoses and my decision. My partner and father both advised me that I made the right choice. Now, all you have to do is find me the same motor in great condition for the same price, within the next few days.<br /><br /> :p <br /><br />cheers

BaysideMarine

Seaman Apprentice

S**T, thats going to be the hard bit.... I haven't yet posted on the fishnet site for an engine (been tied up with someone who wants to be a bit smart and has upset me somewhat!) <br /><br />Cheers mate,<br /><br />Nicholas

BaysideMarine

Seaman Apprentice

By the way Grant, I forgot to mention that Dunaruna hit it absolutely 100% on the head didn't he!! ESPECIALLY since the seller was an alleged Merc service manager and teacher!!!

tengals123

true. I made the right choice.<br /><br />cheers

fourhoofsfarm

Recruit

how about this one . i bought a 1989 17' wellcraft with a 1991 merc 115 hp with about 250 hours on it. changed plugs, fresh gas,lower gear oil,new fuel filters,did a carb clean and a fuel pump rebuild' put some new seats in it and a new bilge pump and now i have a pretty descent boat . im thinking maybe a new impeller and thermostat is up next then do some new paint on it seeings as it sat for 3 years untouched . oh yeah i paid a whole whopping $400.00 for it including an ez loader trailer.

BaysideMarine

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Fourhoofs,<br /><br />Prices here down under are a lot different to the US. That rig of yours assuming it was in good condition would be worth around AU$13,000 (about US$9500) here in a dealers yard.<br /><br />To give some decent to compare to, a new 17 1/2ft Bayliner bowrider with a 4 cylinder MerCruiser, trailer and a few basic extras is worth about AU$30K here ready to go. <br /><br />Obviously over there they must be around US$15K new.<br /><br />Time to bring some more boats over from the US methinks!! But then again, that will destroy our local boat building market. Something that the free trade agreement between Australia-USA is already doing.....<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Nicholas

tengals123

grrrr...............still no motor :( <br />I wish I could afford a new one, but I can't.<br /><br />cheers