What is inside the stator?

johnboywalt

Cadet
This is kinda lame but, what is the plastic peice inside the stator? Can anyone help. My Merc wouldn't start so I took off the flywheel and what not. One of four wires coming from this thing to the switch box is completely disentigrated. I don't know how to remove it to affix a new wire. My manual is still be shipped. I am a kinda obsessive person so I want to work on it now. Can anyone lend me some advice.<br /><br /><br />1977, Mercury500, 4cyl, 2 stroke, 50hp :(

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is inside the stator?

I believe the stator is just magnets that generate current when the magnets on the side of the flywheel pass by during the revolution of the motor. Just like an alternator on a car. Unless you have a pigtail on the broken wire to connect to you probably have to replace the stator.<br /><br />If your a PO/2, you must be either at the airbase in Jack, or on a ship out of Mayport. I was on the carrier F D Roosevelt out of Mayport back in the 50's. RD/3.<br /><br />Jerry

johnboywalt

Cadet

I am from Washington, and yes I am at Nas Jax. Aviation Electronics Technician Second Class. <br /><br />Oh yeah I kinda knew that about the stator, I am refering to the piece that sits underneath and is below the part the flywheel sits on. Not the actuall stator itself, I guess I should have clerified that better.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the part you are refering to is the Trigger it has an arm coming from it that controls you ignition advance. <br />It has wires going to the control box.<br />The trigger is like an electronic distributor.<br />there should be some screws on top of the stator to remove, lift the stator aside and you will access the trigger.<br /> Must be common for the wires to scrub out from rubbing on the underside of the flywheel. <br />Mine did the same.<br /> I intend making a modification on mine to stop it happening again.<br />Maybe a thin stainless plate prorecting it or something.

timmathis

Lieutenant

You can make photo's as you take it apart to hehp as you go. good luck, Tim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow an electronics tech that doesnt know about stators and triggers. why its filled with smoke and magic:). we all learned that in B/EE. when the wires broke the smoke and magic evaporated. now it wont work. there really is no cure for rotted insulation, was a common problem. trigger replacement is about the only solution. the stator has a high and a low speed winding. the outer magnets passing them generate an ac voltage which is rectified and stored in the condensers in the switch box. the trigger has two coils and the inner or flywheel hub magnets pass them generating a much smaller ac voltage which is used to turn on the SCR's in the switch box allowing the voltage stored in the condensers a circuit. as the voltage spikes in the primary windings of the ign coils then stats collapsing it induces a much higher voltage in the secondary windings and if all is well eventually arcs acrossed the plug gaps. so keep the smoke in and the rest is PFM, just like they taught us :) <br /> good luck and keep posting<br /> FC2 retired :)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Rodbolt, I love all these guys with their wild a$$ guesses about how stuff works. It's like a contest to see who can blow the most smoke ...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

depends on the amount and type of cool refreshing beverages I have had :) :) . on a good day you will call the fire dept :) :) . so as long as ya keep the smoke in the rest is PFM and all is well.

johnboywalt

Cadet

I know how a stator works, what I really wanted to know was how to take out the trigger? I don't see a way to get it out. Thanks for the sarcasm though.

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Johnboy, don't let the sarcasm bother you. It's used by people with low self esteem to make you feel as miserable as they do. Incidently, Ensign or Admiral ranks do not indicate depth of knowledge or skill. It just means they post a lot.<br /><br />Anyway, I guess it was I who misunderstood what you were asking. The manual you have coming will explain how to remove. I knew many airdales on the Roosevelt and they were all great guys.<br /><br />Jerry

johnboywalt

Cadet

I know what you mean, it's all good though. I guess I can wait till my manual gets here.<br /><br />And hey I knew plenty of black shoes on the Washington and the Ike. And they were all great people.