Float Needle

tbwi

Cadet
Could a stuck float needle cause the following:<br /><br />-gas to leak from the top of the carb when the primer bulb is squeezed.<br /><br />-when in forward gear, the engine will only run at low RMP on WOT

DOCD9501

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Float Needle

The easiest way to see if the needle is sticking is to remove the carb cover and pump the crap out of the bulb. If it poors out gas thats your problem! If it is seated it wont leak any gas it will just pump up solid

tbwi

Cadet

I tore the carb apart the other night but didn't replace anything... all the parts looked good (no cracks or anything). I put it back together and didn't notice any leaks yet. We'll see when I get it back in the water if it will run at full speed??

DOCD9501

Seaman Apprentice

If it dont work try to take them apart again and with some carb cleaner use a small nipple brush or gun boar brush and brush out the seat holes then re spay them. That should clean em up. Good luck.

tbwi

Cadet

would this problem by a symptom of the motor only running at low RPM in forward gear?

DOCD9501

Seaman Apprentice

Ya cause at higher revs it could be over fueling the cyls and boggin down the spark. Too much fuel for the spark to ignite. Thus loading up the pistons.

Keith Buchanan

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are many causes for boggin' down and many of the problems that you think are juice related end up being electrical or breached gasket problems, especially if your engine has suffered an overheat recently like mine did. Spark test all your cylinders first and also give them a compression test, only then can you confidently go on to nail the problem down. If the spark is there and compression is good hopefully you don't have much to worry about..<br /><br />Best of luck Keith B..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

tbwi, if fuel leaks from the carbs when you gently squeeze the primer bulb, the needles are not functioning properly. My Merc 1500 needles have some neopreme (or some type of rubber) on the tips, to help them seal against the brass seats. if yours leak, inspect the condition of th seats and their gaskets and the needle's tip.<br /><br /> Usually at high RPMs, the motor is less affected by the leaking carbs, however if the carbs flood at low RPM, it can foul plugs which means no power to accelerate.

tbwi

Cadet

What is the easiest way to spark test the cylinders?

tbwi

Cadet

Well we have success! After fixing the carb problem (leak somewhere out of the top) and replacing the plugs the motor runs great! Had it out yesterday and she ran all day long.<br /><br />I had one plug that would fire and one that would not.. that was the reason I was only running on one cyl.