mercury classic fifty {86 model

crimsontide1

Cadet
well lets make a long story short...went crappie fishing yesterday...motor ran great...was really putting it throught paces, because it had only been in water twice in 2 years...returning to boat ramp...running wide open..it started to act like it was spinning .. no power...cut motor off started it back up...would only take 1/4 throttle before it would start spinning again...any ideals. did not hit anything i know of...please help...

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: mercury classic fifty {86 model

Was motor stored with old gas? Are you running old gas or new fresh gas mixed 50 to 1. If you are using or stored old gas you probably need to rebuild carb and possibly fuel pump. Remove bowl screw on carb and allow gas to drip into a clear glass jar. Can you see water or other debris in it? Will bulb get hard on fuel can without leaking gas at carbs?

threecylinder

Seaman Apprentice

did you have any crap(leaves, moss, etc) around the prop?

crimsontide1

Cadet

motor was running fine, wide open...don't know about trash around prop...could have...thanks for the replies....good bunch yall are...dpm

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crimson<br />Just for fun try a new prop. Your current one may be spinning through the hub.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

you can test the hub with finger nail polish or a permanant magic marker. Mark a line on prop and prop nut, run motor then recheck to make sure line is still lined up. If not the prop is spun and you will need a new one.

daddybgood

Cadet

crimsontide1 Please let me know if you eventually come up with a fix I have an '88 mercury 60 ouotboard with the very same problem. I bought a new prop and that didn't help she is still breaking loose at 1/4 to 1/2 speed HELP!