Stator has me stumped and confused

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
The wiring diagram in the manual shows five wires coming from the stator<br />one black, one red, one blue, and two yellow<br /><br />My motor has Seven wires<br />one black, two blue, two red and two yellow one of the red and blue are paired together with a yellow sleeve<br /><br />what are the extra red and blue wires for and where do they go????<br /><br />also confirm the black is ground and is connected to the starter solonoid ground.<br /><br />Thanks

vinney

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stator has me stumped and confused

It sounds like you have an aftermarket stator. Rapair/CDI The make stators that will fit many different engines(different horsepower same manufacture). The yellow with red tracers are you charge output wires. The red are high speed coils and the blue are low speed coil wires the high and low speed wires go to the switch box and the black wire is a ground.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Bill Just a joke...The diagram shows five wires,you motor has seven.AND your asking us where they go?<br />Like I said...joking.Please post you motor info (HP and Serial Number).<br />I'm sure we can help you.<br />DHP

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

The difference is one engine use one switch box and one use two switch boxes. You dont need to know anything else except how the systems work. If the engine has one switch box it uses 5 wires and 7 with two switch boxes.

MrWick

Seaman

Make sure you are looking at the correct page in the manual.Some of the smaller horsepower engines only use 5 wires whereas the bigger motoers use 7 wires.My 1985 115hp used all seven.What hp motor are you working on?I believe my manual showed the correct number of wires,I just installed a new stator a couple of months ago.The yellow wires(2) go to the rectifier,the black(1)goes to ground and one pair of red/blue go to the upper switch and the other pair goes to the lower switch.I would have to look at my motor or notes to see which red/blue pair go where.One pair should be in a yellow sleeve and I think thet pair goes to the lower switch.I drew a diagram of my wiring before removing old wiring.

MrWick

Seaman

If its a Mercury switch,you will see red and blue written on the switch where the wires are attached.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

All switch boxes are marked OEM or aftermarket. Rapair was the first to put ground wires on there switch boxes and stators.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

The engine is a 1979 merc 70 hp 3 cyl, serial #4048399<br /><br />It has one switch box, all the terminals are marked for color of wire.<br /><br />one of the red and one of the blue wires has a white stripe on it, these two wires are connected several inches from the terminal end with a yellow sleeve.<br /><br />The switch box has four terminals across the top marked Blk, grn, red, blue. <br /><br />The only green wires I see are from the ignition coils and they go to the terminals marked grn next to the trigger wire terminals.<br /><br />what goes on the terminal marked Grn.? Right now there is nothing attached to it.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

is it possible I have a 4 cylinder stator in my 3 cyl motor?<br />I noticed in the manual that the 4 cyl motor has two each of the red and blue wires except one pair has a white stripe on it.<br />Once I get this all figured out I am hoping to see spark then I will worry about the fuel system.