Mercury 9.8 Again

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,<br /><br />I managed to rebuild the water pump last night on my 9.8. I am still waiting for the manual so I have a question if anyone can help a little. I want to change the Gear oil. My old Engine had a drain screw attached neat the prop. I can't find any obvious way of draining and changing the oil on the Mercury? <br /><br />Any thoughts?<br /><br />Kev

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 9.8 Again

# 36-37<br /><br />
33.png

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Where part #36 is the drain screw, and part #38 is the vent screw...<br />- Scott

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

Scott,<br /><br />Thanks very much for the replies to the two threads. I really appreciate the Drawing it should help out a bit. Maybe you might be able to help me with another small problem.<br />I have replaced the impeller, the only problem is that I am having a bit of difficulty refitting the gearcase. Everything lines up and goes into place. I get stuck about 1/2 an inch before it locks in fully and closes up. I can't seem to push it completly together. I removed the gearcase with the engine in Netural.<br /><br />Any thoughts?<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Kev

IBrokeMyFreakinNeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kev,<br /><br />I had the same problem. You need to get someone to turn the flywheel while you put the lower unit on. The driveshaft needs to align with the crank.

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks 72Merc.<br /><br />I really appreciate it. I will give it a go tomorrow evening. I will have to talk the missus into helping.<br /><br />Kev