removing lower unit on 95 merc 40

slazerow

Cadet
I am a newbie trying to replace the water pump/impeller for the first time. After taking off the five relavant nuts according to Clymer, the lower unit didn't drop at all(removed one bolt at the trim tab, one nut inside the trip tab cavity, a nut just forward of the tab, and a nut on each side). Any suggestions. Thanks.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: removing lower unit on 95 merc 40

You have all the required nuts undone. Now you will have to have some patience.<br /><br />There will be a dowelling pin holding the gearcase up in place.<br /><br />Here is what to do.<br /><br />Where the front studs are poking through. Lightly pry against the stud and the anticavitation plate. Careful not to apply too much pressure. Once you have a slight crack, you can then insert a the blade of a pry bar between the gearcase and the leg and pop the gearcase off.<br /><br />TMD

slazerow

Cadet
Re: removing lower unit on 95 merc 40

Thanks. It worked well. I one advice to other newbies is to order the self locking nuts for the L/U and water pump when you order the impeller. I had to go to my local marine repair shop who charged $3/nut. Home Depot and Ace did not have stainless nuts.