merc 25 blowpacks coil

rmcintos

Recruit
Keeping it as short as I can. I have never ever done this before. I am newwwwwwwww. <br />I blew a pack on side of 25 Mercury with remote s/n 7200433 it has electric start.. Blindly bought another at the lake and blew it to. Got home and studied the manual. Should have in the first place. Anyway the second pack was same as the first in that the bottom half blew. I did resistance checks on the coils and trigger and stator and compares to the book except the coil on the side that blew. If I remove the wire feeding the coil I get a spark on the other cylinder when hand pulled. Swap bad coil to that side no spark. Order pack and coil (let parts man talk me out of both coils). Put them on as the boat is just coming up to plane it quits same as before. Get home and top section blew not the one with the new coil. The only difference is if I take the coil on the bad side and hook it up to the good side I get a spark. I have no DVA and am wondering if I could use one pack with good top half and one with good bottom half and put a new coil on the other side to see if it will work. Is this good logics or not. I do not know if the Problem is coil stator trigger or pack although I dought that it is the stator trigger or pack. It would be nice to prove it as the packs were $300 Cdn for first and $200 Cdn for other two in aftermarket.<br />God I no this is long but I hope it makes sense. It is about to hit us with ice tonight so tomorrow I have to put boat and a friends trailer away in yard so may not know for sure until next summer. I got caought by the weather.<br />Dale

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: merc 25 blowpacks coil

Having a bad coil can cause damage to the powerpack. On some models you they request that you change the coils along with the power pack and have a deep cycle marine battery otherwise there is no warranty.<br /><br />TMD

rmcintos

Recruit

This motor is a twin cyl and has only one pack. Can I use each half of two packs to make one for testing it after I put on a second new coil on the other cyl. I have only been able to do ohms checks on the trigger and stator and the book says they could still be bad. I question this because the first time I lost spark on the bad cyl even when hooked to the good side if switch. Now I get a spark with the bad cyl hooked to the good side.<br />Thanks for the reply.<br />Dale

rmcintos

Recruit

Can I make one good switch out of two halves?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />bump

The Marine Doctor

Commander

I do not have a manual in front of me. If the stator works in series..you will not be able to do what you want to do with the 2 packs. <br /><br />If the stator supplies the voltage separately for each side of the pack, I do not see why it would not work.<br /><br />The trigger might or might now work in series. I know the older inline 4-6 stuff did.<br /><br />I do not think you will hurt anything by trying.<br /><br />TMD