prop siezed on shaft

toddpole2

Recruit
not sure how badly it's stuck on, but it has been sitting in the paddock for 18 months then used all last season. how can I remove it ie; puller, wd40, any tricks or traps would be appreciated<br />cheers toddpole :)

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: prop siezed on shaft

Moderately heat up the shaft, careful do not get it too hot, spray WD-40 on it to cool it. You may have to do this a few times.<br /><br />If this does not break it free..feel free to cut it off.<br /><br />TMD

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

see my response to "Wildlifedesigner"

toddpole2

Recruit

Thanxs for the reply's <br />But what do you mean marine doctor by 'cutting it off', with a grinder, or blow it off with a propane or oxy torch please elaborate<br /> :confused: <br />dasboot where is wildlifedesighner what page as i am not having in luck getting it through your profile

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use the trusty 100mm angle grinder if the prop is alloy - a bit more difficult if it is S/S. Be carful when you hit the rubber part of the hub. I has to do 2 cuts to get one off and then still use the whacking stick.

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

This will sound wierd but it worked for me: I used a small hydralic bottle jack and set it on the propshaft bolt after screwing the nut flush with the top of threads with the motor tilted all the way up. I made a ring that went around the base of the prop out of 1/8" aircraft cable and fastened it with cable clamps. It was just a little bigger than the prop base diameter. I then made more loops that went from cable ring over the end of the jack and back to the cable ring. Then I just jacked it up and it broke loose. If yours is real tight use some penatrating oil for a day or so and also it might chew up the leading edges of the prop. Make sure you use 2-3 cable clamps and get them tight. This same setup also worked as a carrier hub puller to get the lower unit apart. It takes some time but is way cheaper than buying a $200 puller. Good Luck!