prop slip at 2000rpm

wayne.w

Recruit
i have droped the lower leg changed the water pump impeller and reassembled gear housing to drive sharft housing assembly on test run motor started and idled well with smooth selection of forward and reverse gear,brought the boat onto the plane and at 200rpm the prop lost its bite and revs went to 4500.prop 17 pitch new rubber bush.could it be the spline of the shift sharft not in the correct position and it slips out of gear with increased load.if so which way do i rotate the shift sharft splines on disassembly or is the drive gear stuffed?motor 82 3cyl merc 70hp

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: prop slip at 2000rpm

1. Slipping prop hub.<br />2. Jumps out of gear.<br />3. Shortshaft on a longshaft boat.<br />4. Boat is comming too high out of the water, feeding air into the prop.<br /><br />TMD

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Try making a shiftshaft adjustment, so it moves downward, a little bit more.

wayne.w

Recruit

prop is ok.trim was good and did not jump out of gear motor ran well untill i changed water pump impeller,does the same with my spear 13 pitch prop.i must have rotated the shift sharft on reassembly,dont remember if it was in or out of gear at the time.