9.9 merc won't start sometimes.

lostnsauce

Recruit
First I'd like to say that this is a great site! Thanks in advance for any help given.<br /><br />I have an 88 merc 9.9 outboard. Motor ran fine last year. I stored it over the winter, and I could not get it to start this spring (seemd to be flooded). I removed, and dried the plugs. I also noticed that I got no spark when I grounded them to engine. (no spark on both plugs). After 100's of attempts (pulls, and redrying plugs) motor suddenly started, and ran great. I let it run in a barrel of water for about 2 hours. No problems. After reinstalling the motor, I put my boat in the water a few day later. Motor started right up. Ran great. Found A good fishing spot, and cut the motor off. After about 45 mins of fishing, I tried to start the motor. it would not start. It cranks fine, but had the same problem, no spark. I let it sit for 10 minutes, and it started right up. This happened all day. Sometimes, it would start right up, other times, it would take a few minutes, other times maybe ten minutes. Any suggestions would help. I just got a manual. Thanks.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.9 merc won't start sometimes.

lostnsauce,<br />Intermittent spark problems are pretty hard to diagnose. I'd start with checking the kill switch (bypass it to see if it corrects the problem). If it's OK then move on to every electrical connection on the motor. You'll be looking for good, solid CLEAN connections. Pay paticular attention to any & all ground connections. If none of the above solves the problem get back to us.<br />Backlash

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

After reading your post I'm wondering if this isn't just a fuel issue. Get a new set of spark plugs, and buy an extra set when you do. Try cranking it up again. If it quits check the spark with a dry unused spark plug. The fact that you had it running OK for a while makes me think your ignition is probably OK. I'm wondering if you don't have a stuck open float that flooding the engine and oiling/fueling up your plug so that the plug doesn't spark well. If you've checked the obvious like loose connections and the kill switch, look in the carb throat (remove the airbox if there is one) and look for spilling fuel when you pump the fuel bulb. Does the fuel bulb eventually get firm or does it just keep pumping?

lostnsauce

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. <br />I cannot find the kill switch on this thing for the life of me. I will continue to look. It seems as though the connections are all tight, but I will re-check them. As for the fuel, the bulb does get tight after a few pumps.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

The kill switch is what you use to shut the motor off. When checking the ground connections; remove them, clean both surfaces thoroughly, then retighten.<br />Backlash

lostnsauce

Recruit

O.K., today I will re-check all the connections, and by 2 sets of new plugs. I do have a question about the kill switch. My merc is setup for controls. I do not have a shut-off switch on the motor itself. I have heard of a mercury switch, or something like that. At this time, I cannot find anything like that. Thanks for the help.

BUMP.<br /><br />I am following this post closely. I have a similar problem except mine won't start at all. I've tried all the obvious to no avail.

lostnsauce

Recruit

got that dave. I will report back as soon as possible.

lostnsauce

Recruit

Well, I am not sure what fixed my problem, but after replacing the plugs, and loosening/cleaning every wire connection associated with ignition... <br /><br />It is running great! Maybe it was the plugs, or maybe a bad ground or something. Thanks for the replies to the post.