oil injection/beeping alarm

acethom

Recruit
I have a 2001 Mercury 150 Saltwater Series bought brand new in 2001. My 2nd Merc motor( 1st was a 125 1997 model) and never a problem with either until now. I've changed plugs (replaced w. factory original NGKs as recommended), changed oil in foot regularly,etc. I've noticed that in rough water or when pulling the kids in tube back and forth that the oil warning signal comes on and will stay on. Checked to see if water is flowing out of motor and it's a constant hard steady stream, checked the oil tank caps and they're tight. So...I tried this test. Filled the exterior reservoir to the top, took off the cowl, checked the interior tank and it was full.<br />Hooked up the hose and ran the motor for 20-30 minutes. Checked the exterior oil tank and yes, it was lower. so...At least I know that the oil injection system is working. Still I'm at loss<br />at why the oil warning beep stays on constantly when in rough water or pulling the kids on the tube... Any help would be appreciated...

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: oil injection/beeping alarm

4 beebs everey two minutes means either water in the fuel or low oil. The sensor in the oil tank could have a intermitent problem or the float could be bad in the tank, the whole tank would need to be replaced if that is the problem. The sensor can be replaced by itself. <br /> Take the water fuel seperator off and dump it out into glass jar, look for water.

acethom

Recruit

I changed the water/fuel separator before the last time we went out on the water and still had this beeping in rough water. It seems that it only happens when the speed is mid-range, in rough water, or pulling the tube in a back and forth zig -zag wake (turning at slower speeds.)<br />It makes me think that the flow is getting cut off with the movement of the boat. If I run WOT, it's ok..no beeping.

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check all connections. Check the sensor with a OHMN meter, should have continuity betwwen the the two leads. If all good, replace the tank and problem should go away.

acethom

Recruit

DTS,<br />I'm guessing the sensor is attached to the oil tank cap which is attched to the float in the tank under the cowl. I'll check that this AM with the OHM meter and see if that's the problem..<br />Thanks