a sad nite time collison

tommays

Admiral
19034842.jpg
<br /><br />we had a tragic nite time accident and of corse there blameing the other boat with out haveing the facts<br /><br />but it would appear the boat that was struck in the starbord side did not have the right of way and in reality NOBODY WAS PAYING ATTENION<br /><br /><br />
19039810.gif
<br /><br />tommays

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: a sad nite time collison

I believe that when on converging courses the boat to starboard has right of way.<br /><br />Of course, when nobody is alert it must not matter. :(

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Tommays, you wrote "we". did this happen to you and yours?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Grandma always told me wqhen I was learning to drive that you only have the right of way if the other guy gives it to you.<br /><br />I apply that lesson to boating as well.

txswinner

Banned

vran, Good motto, think I will put it on my console. Thanks for sharing.

tommays

Admiral

We meaning the boating community<br /><br />its more anoying because the news is useing it to do a sensation story VS a fact based one<br /><br />did the boats have working navagation lights ?<br /><br />there is a possable alcohol involvement BUT no facts yet other than he blew a zero 4 hours after the accident<br /><br /><br />and of course they dont bring up the rules of the road at all and the fact that the boat was hit on the starbord side and its operator was not paying attention<br /><br /><br />tommays

txswinner

Banned

0 4 hours after the accident is an excellant sign that person had no alcohol problems at the time of the incident.

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"I believe that when on converging courses the boat to starboard has right of way." <br /><br />Not if the other vessel is in an official channel.<br /><br />I'm not sure what the exact situation here is but there is a main channel running east-west, the direction that boat No 2 was headed. <br /><br />Either way, it would appear that he had the "right of way". <br />Regardless, the accident was tragic.<br /><br />A good reminder to all to be diligent when sailing at night.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

The guy who struck the other boat was reported to be drunk that night. A 12-year old kid died from this BWI accident. If that guy was really drunk, right of way may be irrelevant.

tommays

Admiral

he passed his test with a zero<br /><br />its a right of way accident which then trys to point ALL THE BLAME at the person who had the right of way because a child was killed<br /><br /><br />tommays

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, #2 had the right of way, but it looks like the accident could have been easily avoided. That is if either of them had been paying attention. I can only imagine what the operators of those 2 boats must be feeling right now. Hopefully more details will be posted here as they come out.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This is strange but here in my area recently had two seperate incidents.<br /><br /><br />Several hurt in boat crash on Bomoseen<br /><br />August 18, 2005 <br /><br />By Alan J. Keays Herald Staff <br /> <br />A two-boat crash on Lake Bomoseen last weekend sent several people to the hospital — including a local man who suffered propeller cuts to his neck.<br /><br />It was the second accident on the lake late Saturday night, coming around the same time that a boat crashed into Float Bridge.<br /><br />Christopher Howe, a Rutland County probate judge who lives on Lake Bomoseen, said in an interview Wednesday he was operating one of the boats in the two-vessel crash.<br /><br />Michael Bethel, 18, of Fair Haven, said Wednesday he was in the other boat involved in the collision near the middle of the lake. The name of the driver of that boat was not available.<br /><br />Bethel said he and three friends were on the shore of Lake Bomoseen sometime after 10 p.m. Saturday when a boat approached them and the driver asked if they wanted to go for a ride. Bethel said he and his friends agreed, and they went out on the lake.<br /><br />He said at one point one of his friends, a 15-year-old boy, was steering, but the boat's owner was controlling the speed.<br /><br />"We were doing between 20 and 30 miles per hour," he said.<br /><br />Bethel said his girlfriend, who was with him, asked the boat owner for a life jacket and was given one.<br /><br />"We were watching the sky and she was like, 'Mike, isn't it a beautiful night out tonight?' And then we kissed and then moments after that we were slammed,'" he said. "The next thing I remember I was in the water and I was swimming up to the surface."<br /><br />Bethel added that his 15-year-old friend went over the glass windshield in the front of the boat and then under the vessel.<br /><br />"I guess at that time he saw the propeller coming for him and I guess I grabbed him out of the way and we swam up together," Bethel said.<br /><br />Bethel added that he, himself, was cut by the propeller and had to have 15 stitches in his neck. He and his three friends were taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center and later released.<br /><br />Bethel said the man who invited them into his boat was not taken to the hospital. He added that he did not know the man's name.<br /><br />Bethel said the lights were on in the boat he was riding in, but the other boat operator, Howe, did not appear to have his lights turned on when the late-night crash took place.<br /><br />Howe said Wednesday that wasn't the case, his boat lights were on.<br /><br />Howe said his two daughters, his wife, his brother-in-law and sister-in-law were aboard his 21-foot Malibu boat at the time of the collision. He said he had just picked up his daughters at the Lake House Pub, where they work.<br /><br />"I was the designated driver for the evening," Howe said, adding that capacity for his boat is 10 people.<br /><br />He estimated he was traveling 18-20 mph at the time of the collision.<br /><br />"A boat appeared out of my blind side, which would be to the port side of the boat, across my bow, and there was a collision," Howe said, adding that he didn't see the vessel.<br /><br />"He saw my red light, or if he had looked, he would have seen the red light, which means it's a no-go zone for him," Howe said.<br /><br />After the collision, Howe said he immediately "powered down" his boat and so did the other boat. Everyone offered assistance to those who injured.<br /><br />"We took immediate steps to account for each of the passengers on both boats," he said.<br /><br />Another passing boat also arrived at the scene to answer calls of help.<br /><br />"They rendered assistance and took the passengers from the other boat," Howe said.<br /><br />Two of his family members were taken to the hospital, he said, and they were treated and released.<br /><br />Howe said his boat sustained some "cosmetic damage" as well as damage to the keel, but he was able to drive it back to shore. The other boat had to be towed to shore, he said.<br /><br />Howe said he was not aware if any charges were filed in the crash.<br /><br />"As far as I know, it's still under investigation," he said.<br /><br />While Castleton Police investigate that collision, Vermont State Police are investigating another accident involving a single boat that took place around the same time.<br /><br />That crash, in which a boat struck the Float Bridge around 12:30 a.m. Sunday, sent three people to the hospital. They were treated and released.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

That guy is on a very difficult position.<br /><br />When there's an accident, can they really establish right of way on the water when there are no lanes and lines? What if the accused guy was on the right spot, keeping his cruise, and then the other boat swerved on his path? <br /><br />I have no knowledge about this kind of accident. I just hope that such accident stays away from everybody. Let's all boat safely...

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

vran, your Grandma was dead-on. As I learned, nobody "has" the right-of-way. In the proper situation, the other boater/driver is supposed to yield the right-of-way, but no one ever "has" it.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The words "Right-of-way" are not used in the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea. There are only "Give-way" and "Stand-on" vessels. A "Stand-on" vessel is actually required to keep her course and speed unless it becomes apparent that the "Give-way" vessel "is not taking appropiate action in compliance with these Rules" then she is obligated to take action to avoid the collision regardless of any other circumstances.<br /><br />As stated earlier you can surmise that these vessel operators where not keeping a "proper look-out" by sight and hearing. I'm sure that you find that this is where most of the fault will be found.

zzub

Seaman Apprentice

They were both going to fast if it was dark out!

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I realize that the diagram of the accident may not be exact, but the vessel that was struck on the starboard side was possibly giving the other vessel the green light. Or maybe not. The bow lights are purposely designed to give the red or green light from dead ahead to 120 degrees aft. If Fleischer's vessel was near or about 120 degrees behind the other boat, he may not have been the stand on vessel. He may have been considered the "overtaking vessel". Looks to close to call but the accident was tragic and it's a terrible thing for a person to lose their life when one operator or the other may have been able to take evasive action even if it "wasn't their responsibility to do so". It's every captains responsibility to be aware of their suroundings.<br /> Does the vessel in a channel, in open water and not restricted to the channel due to water depth or other reasons, have the "right of way", that is always the stand on vessel?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

we almost had one here today in the wanchese channel. a boat being delivered that we set up with a pair of 300 HPDI's was being piloted by the manufactures rep with my coworker onnboard. they approached and overtook a 40ft trawler at a high rate of speed, something just above 45 mph. seems they got a bit close and when they crossed the trawler wake they got a large amount of bowsteer and broadsided the stern of the trawler. other than feelings and a few brusises no one was hurt.goes back to my 2 rules. if ya aint sure what the other idiot is going to do, slack her back and enjoy the view and the second is the law of gross tonnage always wins.

QC

Supreme Mariner

trophy 175 is all over this . . . the 120 degree thing is primary as I understand it. However, I would say, we are absent a very critical piece and that is the speed of the individual boats. Without that we have no idea when and where they crossed that 120 degree line. As I look at the diagram now, and use the angles given, it feels very much like #1 was responsible, but the drawing doesn't really show me at what angles the boats actually approached each other.<br /><br />Ultimately, as others have said, both of them had the opportunity to avoid the other and right of way doesn't mean diddly . . .

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sad, so very sad. I have to ask, why does everyone assume it has something to do with alcohol ? Why do people say that the facts don't matter if alcohol might have been involved ? Lastly, why is anyone trying to make a judgement based on a diagram that a TV station put up ?? Regardless of stand on, or stand down vessel,BOTH were responsible to take action to avoid collision, and that did not happen. Almost everytime I'm on the water, I have to take action to avoid a collision, even when I am the stand on boat.....as someone else pointed out, right of way is given...not to be taken. Remember to look all around you!!