Retrieving Lost Motor

Uncle Mike

Cadet
My brother-in-law "lost" his 9hp kicker motor in about 25 feet down in very low visibility freshwater last Saturday.<br /><br />Don't ask how, 'cause I don't know, and I wasn't with him!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Any ideas on how to locate it? Do you think it is worth looking for it?

Neonbee

Seaman
Re: Retrieving Lost Motor

I'm no pro at this Mike, but if you had a fish finder set on very sensative to show the bottom structure you could probably make it out.<br />Then all you need to do is get somebody thats into scuba diving to recover it or drag the area with a giant gaff hook.<br /><br />Good Luck!!

TheViking

Cadet

I agree, go to your local dive shop and ask somebody if they would be willing to go down and retrieve it. Most divers are looking for any reason to go diving and 25ft is a pretty shallow depth.

Uncle Mike

Cadet

Problem apparently is the visability. Diver on Sunday said he couldn't see his hand in front of his face after about 10-15 feet. Fish finder might help pinpoint it though.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it depends on the mud on the bottom. If the water is mucky, then the bottom usually is. It may have sunk in really well and might be difficult to see on a fish finder. With some luck though, it might be visible.<br /><br />What about dragging a really strong magnet along that area? I'm not sure how much of the outboard would be magnetic, but that might work.<br /><br />I don't know about underwater metal detectors, but that would probably work, though the setup would likely be too expensive to be practical. Does anyone know about this...? Can you get a $100 Wolly World metal detector, waterproof the detector portion by sealing it in plastic, and running a wire to the boat where you have the "viewfinder" or whatever that is called. Then just use your fishfinder to help navigate... Sounds crazy but it might work.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might try dragging a grappling hook on the bottom. I got a fishing pole back that way one time. Got luck and it cot the fishing line and I pulled it up.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A grappling hook would be perfect if the engine is the only big thing down there to catch it. If there are tree roots and large rocks to get caught in - that's where I'm at a loss. The fishfinder could help avoid some obstacles but it still sounds difficult.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Magnet on a line, just to locate it?<br /><br />If you've got a combo unit, punch MOB as soon as the magnet strikes. That'll give you a close position fix for the diver.<br /><br />Baying at the moon really!

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your brother has a very good idea where it is, have him take a diver out to the spot and anchor the boat. Tie another rope to anchor but not boat, before dropping it down. Have diver follow anchor rope to bottom. When there, he will take up the other rope and start swimming cirles around the anchor. After each circle he moves farther out on the rope. If your brother is accurate, the diver will run into the motor and he will have a rope to tie onto it for lifting.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How heavy is the kicker? Anybody have an idea how 'magnetic' it is? If you can find it with a magnet, wouldn't you stand a decent chance of being able to pull it up using 4-6 of those heavy duty magnets? Can't remember for sure, but I believe I bought a 100 lb. magnet for $6 or $8 dollars at harbor freight....Course the 100 lb rating is probably for a perfectly flat connection, in reality I've found that it will pull alot less given the 'fit' you get dropping it randomly on an object. That's why it might take a number. <br /><br />Or is the casing aluminum or stainless and this idea won't work at all?

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Now where did he lose this engine?<br /><br />I would be willing to come out and help<br /><br />Just send me the location and I will call you when I find the motor.<br /><br />General Naboo<br />Former King of Nambia.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Reminds me of the 5hp Evinrude I lost off the back of a boat over 20 years ago. I lost it in 20 feet of murky tidal water. As far as I know it's still there. :mad: