water in lower unit (problem cured ) :)

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I changed the oil in the lower unit of my 79' mercury 200hp. outboard, it was milky. I ran the boat a couple times last weekend, then checked again today before going fishing,and it was milky already.Ive never seen any oil leaking out of the unit. I plan to go fish tomarow iam just going to pump some fresh oil in the gears and go.I read in a post here that lower unit oil will still do it's job when water gets in it,I also noticed there was no o-rings on the the fill or vent screws. Are there supposed to be o-rings?? I have been reading all the lower unit post's in the search section trying to learn watt iam going to need to put new seals and impeller while at iam in there of course. this is my first motor and all i know bout it is what i read in the forum. Any help is greatly appreciated!!I love this place! :)

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water in lower unit (problem cured ) :)

You should have some sort of o-ring around the fill and vent plugs. Water in the lower unit can cause pitting on the gears. If water is left in the bearing they will rust. I'am not teling not to use the baot to go fishing tomorrow but drain the lower unit and put new gear lube in and get some o-rings for those fill plugs. Have the lower unit presure and vacumed tested befor you go the next time. A new seal ket is alot cheaper then a new lower unit.

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks DTS,I appreciate the information about the water pitting the gears.the lake i am going to is very small so i wont need to run much but i will go to the marine store and look for some o-rings or better yet maybe see if new fill and vent plugs are available as mine are getting worn from removing ( slot in head ) and a manuel too. since no oil is leaking from these plugs the water i assume is getting past the seals, would be too good if only getting past plugs, my luck doesnt run like that lol thanx agin DTS

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Some vent & fill plugs use o-rings, some use gaskets. Get new plugs, they should have whatever is required, o-ring or gasket.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanx hooty :) i will do that

D

DJ

fishunter,<br /><br />Get some new plugs as you suggest. I also suggest getting half a dozen or so seals to keep on hand. They're cheap.

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanx for the advice DJohns19 I just returned from the parts store with my new plugs... learned that the thing on the bottom plug is a magnet, unfortunantly my old one has some very fine meatal stuck to it :( so i guess iam in for some more toubles in the near future, they also have the manuel i need , so i'll be getting that next.Ill be posting again when i get ready to attempt a lower unit rebuild, hope all u fellas can help out again, I really have enjoyed this forum, makes boat problems a little less frustrating when u can get good honest opinions and advise. Thanx again to all of you. :)

D

DJ

fishhunter,<br /><br />Don't jump the gun. Filings on the magnet are perfectly normal and that is what the magnet is for.<br /><br />Just make sure you shift QUICKLY when you shift. Shifting slowly is hard on the L/U.

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ahhh good... makes me feel better to know that DJ, I found out the first trip out that when i shift to reverse i have to shift it all the way down or the gears will slip , may need some adjustment the tech told me, but i try to avoid using reverse if possable because of this, I mainly just use it when launching,to get off the trailer,but it will slip in reverse if u dont shift all the way back quickly, sometimes this is a problem if the water is choppy comes over the transom uno from backing up so fast lol. thanx again DJ. Going to refill my lower unit then take it out for a spin, and come back and look at the oil again, should i need to is replacing all sthe seals a job that an electrician/shady mechanic might be able to do?

D

DJ

fishunter,<br /><br />It does sound as if you need an adjustment. It may be as simple as locating the end of the shift cable and turning the sleeve on the cable to extend it.<br /><br />However, to answer your other question too. Get a manual (about $30.00) and look it over before you attempt it. It will also give you a good idea if you could tackle a reseal job, if you need one.

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanx again DJ, Iam shopping around for a good deal on a manuel the marine store i got the fill plugs from had for $35 to $40 . Iam thinking i can save a few bucks somewwhere else tho, the quart of gear lube i got from em was almost 9 bucks, the premium lube i got from acadamy sports only 6, lesson learned lol.

D

DJ

fishunter,<br /><br />Look on this iboats site. Lower left corner.

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks DJ, I have checked the manuels there before, and they are priced lower,just wondering which would be best for me (clymer or seloc)? Do u have a prefferance? I need lots of pics and diagrams lol thanx again

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

fishhunter,<br />I was getting water in my lower unit.<br />I noticed I had no o rings or gaskets on my vent/ drain plugs.<br />I put plumbers tape on the threads and ran the boat all last season.<br />Drained the oil in the fall and not a drop of water to be found!<br />The oil came out the same color it went in. :) <br /><br />As far as fine metal on drain plug,<br />It may be normal wear.

don't let water keep you off the water, before you do anything, check out the GearCheck product. It will alert you to water intrusion, low oil, overheated oil and abnormal metal in the chamber. It's the best preventive gearcase product out, call the guys at C.D.I electronics. The # is 877 445 7926 you wont be sorry.

D

DJ

Fishunter,<br /><br />I would take the three choices for manuals, in this order.<br /><br />1. OEM (Mercury)<br /><br />2. Seloc.<br /><br />3. Clymer.

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks DJohns I will look for an OEM manuel, and it seems i may have stopped the water from getting in my L/U with the new fill/vent plugs with washers :)