Dead battery?

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Hooked up my fish finder today only to find out my starter battery was out of juice. Is there a way to check if the motor is charging it? 1999 Mercury 40 HP , 3 cylinder. Will do the basic terminal cleaning naturally, but they don't look corroded. Any help would be appreciated and thanks ;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dead battery?

Check all connections for clean and tight.<br /> Check electrolite in battery. Add distilled water if low.Measure voltage across battery terminals.Should be 12+ volts. Run motor at about cruising speed and measure voltage across battery terminals.Should be at least 14+ volts with motor<br />running.If all connections are clean and tight<br /> And you get charging voltage battery should<br />charge.Use a charger if it doesnt hold charge replace battery. good luck.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Steelespike..<br />Battery voltage was <8.0 v. when I took it out. Connections were clean. Put it on a 2 amp. x 12v. charger and the needle pegged at 8amp. then slowly dropped to 2 amps charging. It has been charging now for 3 hrs and the rate of draw is about 1.75 amp. so it looks like its taking a charge. Will know for sure in the morning... :cool:

crab bait

Captain

but why is it dead.. sittin' all winter , somethin' left on.. why ??

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

prob. the later..something left on, I suspect the nav. lights got switched on, we'll see...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like battery is taking a charge.<br />A dead battery can freeze in winter.Hopefully yours didnt.Best bet for winter is one of those<br />battery maintainers.Puts a trickle charge in all winter keeps battery tip top.On my old lawn tractor didnt have a trickle charger so I would charge at 2amps over night every 3 weeks or so.<br /> Battery is 5 years old, a little tired but still works. If you use a hydrometer you can check each cells electrolite. Should read at least 1250 on a<br />fully charged battery (after settling) should not vary more than 10pts.cell to cell.<br /> Battery is no better than its weakest cell.<br /> Good luck, spike

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

I've been using this boat weekly since March, that's why I suspected the charging system. Here in Texas, I fish year round, if fact, I believe sept.-feb. to be the best fishing. I've never had to charge a start battery but theres always a first. My battery took a charge so I'll check out the charging system this week. Thanks for the advice :D

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Yep... dead battery, checked out electrolite after chargeing and sitting a couple of hours-1200 on all cells. Good thing most everyone is running a Memorial Day battery sale! Thanks again for the good info... :p