1971 mercury 650 thunderbolt ignition concern

rc2

Recruit
The motor quit running while attempting to get kids up on ski's. Will not restart hot or cold.<br />removed and inspected and cleaned spark plugs, seems to be no spark--motor cranks but will <br />not fire. I'm an auto mechanic not an outboard tech., what is the first step to diagnose this<br />old dog? I have a DVOM, if that will help me. Thanks for any help, I really can't afford to guess<br />at this, a little boost in the right direction would be greatly appriciated.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 1971 mercury 650 thunderbolt ignition concern

If for sure no spark, start with the easy stuff like ignition and kill switches.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 mercury 650 thunderbolt ignition concern

Rc2,You should be working from a manual.<br /> Try the library,NAPA,ebay,book stores etc.<br />Grubbs marine at:www.oldmercs.com should have reprint owners and service manuals for your motor.Most outboards use<br /> an ignition switch that is open to run closed to stop.Similar to a lawnmower motor.Some Mercs have an emergency tip up kill<br />switch.It is a mercury switch mounted on the <br />power head.Shuts of motor if you hit something and motor tips up.