Will a different Stator Fit or Work on a 1974 Mercury 850

hulteen

Cadet
I have a 1974 Mercury 850-85HP motor Thunderbolt Ignition, It has a 2 wire Stator on it, and I was wondering if another stator would interchange with it? I have access to either a "red" stator for a 1987 75HP mercury, that is supposed to fit mercury, mariner, and force motors. also a stator from a 1992 50HP Force motor, and there are 2 others I could get that came off of 1983 Mercury Inline 6 Outboards, they all look very similar to mine but I can't tell exactly, they have more wires than my 2 yellow wire stator had, but I am assuming these extra wires are for triggering and can remain unused if I installed it on my motor assuming they would fit....are any of these stators interchangeable (universal) across the merc/mariner/force line, or are they all motor specific? I am looking to save money, and don't want to spend $200 for a new one when I could have a barely used one for about 15% of that. anyway thanks in advance for any help or advance.<br /><br />P.S. my motor has a distributor and breakerless ignition if that helps at all but my stator only has 2 wires......anyway, I'm rambling, I just wanted to be very specific....thanks.

hulteen

Cadet
Re: Will a different Stator Fit or Work on a 1974 Mercury 850

I mean thanks in advance for advice.

agefhx

Cadet

Whats wroung with the old one? Let me guess the wires are rotting? If so, this is what i did (i have the same motor). I took my old stator to my bench grinder, it has a grinding stone on it and a wire brush. I then carefully using the stone wheel ground the metal ring surrounding the 2 wires. Then using the wire wheel i followed the wires through the plastic coating, only taking out enough plastic to follow the wires down to where they are soldered to the coil. Then i resoldered new wires and filled in the gap with rtv, although i should have 5200 or something a little tougher.<br /> Good Eye protection is a must!!!<br /> What else you have to lose, besides getting a new stator anyway. I have 10 hours on the motor since i did this and seems to be working fine.

hulteen

Cadet

Actually, yes, it was the rotting wires, and I did exactly what you did, and I soldered new wires but instead of RTV I used some epoxy. I'm sure it would work, but I wanted to replace it anyway, and there are a number of used ones for different motors I could get inexpensively.